CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc is talking about a reversible MAOI for me if the massive quantities of Effexor and Lamictal don't work out, and he mentioned one called Reboxetine. Anyone taking it?

There's not a lot about it on CM, and I couldn't find it at all in a search of CB. On CM it said it's not available in the US, but I'm wondering if that has changed recently or if anyone elsewhere in the world could share their anecdotes about it.

The thing that made it palatable to me (I'm not interested in trying regular MAOIs) is that there seem to be fewer OTC drug reactions and no dietary restrictions, from what I understand.

Thanks,

clumsycrawling

My pdoc is talking about a reversible MAOI for me if the massive quantities of Effexor and Lamictal don't work out, and he mentioned one called Reboxetine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure reboxetine isn't a reversible MAOI - I think it's a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. The only reversible MAOI on the market is moclobemide. That drug might also be the next choice for me if my current mix of Effexor and Zyprexa doesn't start doing something soon. I've been on a number of combinations over the past year, but have only experienced about 3 weeks of almost-remission on Prozac and Zyprexa. Then the depression came back....

Moclobemide seems to have a reputation for being a 'weak' antidepressant, but if you check out controlled studies on PubMed, you'll see a number of studies that suggest it has equal efficacy to TCAs and SSRIs. The lack of dietary restrictions is certainly a bonus (I would not like to give up drinking red wine), and also it seems to have a very low risk of sexual side fx (unlike Effexor and the SSRIs!).

I might be making a decision on whether to try moclobemide next week - what scares me a bit is the wash out period required (I think about 10 days) before starting, and coming off Effexor. But I reckon it's probably worth a try.

cheers,

Andrew

I took Reboxetine 2 mg 1x a day along with Cymbalta and Provigil. It is not a RIMA, it is a NARI (Noradrenaline Reuptake Inhibitor). It was slighty effective and only added to the mood lifting benefits of Cymbalta and Provigil, BUT also added to the damage to my liver that the Cymbalta did.

yeah, reboxetine is a snri. it's ok. didn't hit the spot for me monotherapy but is ok in a cocktail - reboxetine, sertraline and quetiapine. horses for courses.

watch out for constipation and insomnia. it's not as activating as other srnis like strattera, but is acceptably antidepressant.

Guest Vapourware

Moclobemide seems to have a reputation for being a 'weak' antidepressant, but if you check out controlled studies on PubMed, you'll see a number of studies that suggest it has equal efficacy to TCAs and SSRIs. The lack of dietary restrictions is certainly a bonus (I would not like to give up drinking red wine), and also it seems to have a very low risk of sexual side fx (unlike Effexor and the SSRIs!).

I might be making a decision on whether to try moclobemide next week - what scares me a bit is the wash out period required (I think about 10 days) before starting, and coming off Effexor. But I reckon it's probably worth a try.

cheers,

Andrew

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RE: the studies - did they ever mention the dosage required? The minimum therapeutic dosage is 300mg/day, but according to anecdoctal evidence Moclobemide is only effective at higher levels, such as over 600mg/day. Once taken at higher levels food restrictions do apply, which would make Moclobemide very similar to older-style MAOIs.

Anyways, I found your post interesting because I saw elsewhere a chart comparing the efficiency of ADs...and Moclobemide came in behind SSRIs in its ability to "lift" depression.

Archived