CrazyBoards.org

Neuro referred me to psychiatrist

What I kind of anticipated would happen, has happend. My neurologist has referred me to a psychiatrist for my sleep problems because nothing he has suggested has helped. I'm worried that he'll think I'm crazy---how stupid is that?? I'm also kind of relieved because I'm sure I have some mental issues that need to be addressed. I also need a good night's sleep. I have a call in to the doctor to set up an appt and am waiting for him to get back to me.

Diane B

Heya,

1.  A psych that taiked to us in residency said he could change his clinic from "mood disorders" to "sleep disorders" and he wouldn't have to change any treatments.

2.  Fixing my sleep is what Lamictal has done for me.  According to DH, I'm better.  They seem to parallel each other each other.

My advice?  Take any help you can get to fix your sleep.

--ncc--

Thanks, ncc---the more I think about it, the calmer I become. I really need to get my sleep problem figured out. I also have migraines and there is a lot of research that shows people with migraine have concomitant mental illness. I spent a large part of my afternoon reading the DSM-IV and think I may have dysthymia---of course, I'm just a medical editor and NOT an MD. I'm actually looking forward to my pdoc visit.

db

If there are any sleep disorder clinics in your area it's worth checking out. We have a good one in Seattle. I think it's helping me. I know it's kind of stupid to say, but I'm now up to probably averaging 4- 4 1/2 hours a night. Up fro about 3. And it may keep improving - though I think part of it may be because I have been sooo lethargic lately.  If I had any real energy I might not be having this much success.

No meds for sleep. What I'm doing is compressing the time I'm actually in bed. You set your time in bed at a little more than your average sleep (maybe an hour or so more) then set the best times for bed and wake up. I'm now scheduled to go to bed no earlier than 12:30 and get up no later than 6:00. You can go to bed later and you can get up earlier but not the reverse. You should only go to bed IF you're sleepy. And if you go to bed and can't fall asleep within 15-20 min. or if you wake up and can't get back to sleep you're supposed to get up and move to some other location, read or whatever until you are sleepy again and then go back to bed.

As you get to the point where you are sleeping enough to fill up most of the time in bed, then you expand the amount of time in bed. Hopefully you will eventually begin sleeping more.

I'm scheduled to meet with a sleep doctor Dec 7 for an evaluation. I know what you're saying about compressing the time you're in bed. I got into a very bad habit when my second daughter was born. She had her days and nights mixed up at first and was awake from 9 pm until 3 am. So I would go to bed at 5 or 6 pm until 9 pm just to get some sleep, then I'd get up with her at 2 or 3 and sleep til 5 until my husband and other daughter woke up. It really messed up my ability to stay up late---but I can get up really early!

Diane B

• 4 weeks later...

What I kind of anticipated would happen, has happend. My neurologist has referred me to a psychiatrist for my sleep problems because nothing he has suggested has helped. I'm worried that he'll think I'm crazy---how stupid is that?? I'm also kind of relieved because I'm sure I have some mental issues that need to be addressed. I also need a good night's sleep. I have a call in to the doctor to set up an appt and am waiting for him to get back to me.

Diane B

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Before going to a "psychiatrist" (as gandhi said of western civilization-"I think it would be an excellent idea") read some of the peer reviewed articles or their abstracts on medline about the neurologic basis for intractable insomnia. Authors to search are Eve Van Cauter and Alexander Vgontzas. "Psychiatry" seems more about sticking patients with dsm cultural labels, and hawking the profit driven chemical lobotomies of the drug oligarchy.

If you aren't already, avoid tobacco, alcohol, benzos, "sedating antidepressants", "sedating antipsychotics", maybe try sedating anticonvulsants (I'm using 1.2grams gabapentin at bedtime, would like to try pregabalin- these seem to be the least unsafe). I was using .5mg-1.5mg generic xanax at bedtime, quit due to tolerance. It didn't put me to sleep but did allow me to sleep.

There is no more sound antidepressant or anxiolytic than a sound restorative night's sleep.

Not sure what you mean by "sleep medicines". Are you saying this about sleep doctors? Or sleep clinics? Or are you really talking about specific medicines? The way you phrased your post makes this unclear to me.

If you were referring to the doctors or clinics then I would disagree.

Before going to a "psychiatrist" (as gandhi said of western civilization-"I think it would be an excellent idea") read some of the peer reviewed articles or their abstracts on medline about the neurologic basis for intractable insomnia. Authors to search are Eve Van Cauter and Alexander Vgontzas. "Psychiatry" seems more about sticking patients with dsm cultural labels, and hawking the profit driven chemical lobotomies of the drug oligarchy.

If you aren't already, avoid tobacco, alcohol, benzos, "sedating antidepressants", "sedating antipsychotics", maybe try sedating anticonvulsants (I'm using 1.2grams gabapentin at bedtime, would like to try pregabalin- these seem to be the least unsafe). I was using .5mg-1.5mg generic xanax at bedtime, quit due to tolerance. It didn't put me to sleep but did allow me to sleep.

There is no more sound antidepressant or anxiolytic than a sound restorative night's sleep.

Archived