CrazyBoards.org

If yes, why?

If no, why do you think so?

I am a pot smoker myself and when I first started I thought hell no but now I believe that it is. I speak for myself.. I did try harder drugs after that. It wasn't because marijuana didnt get me high enough. I enjoyed the different effects other drugs and how it was so strong such as pain killers.. Those would be my drug of choice.

So yeah.... Thoughts??

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a gateway drug for some people

and NOT for others.

I know someone almost sixty years old who on occasion will smoke a joint on the weekend.

a rare occasion

And I have seen young people start with weed and slide down the slippery slope to addiction

and harder drugs,

my brother being one of them.

Edited by bpladybug

I agree with lady bug, I know plenty of people who never progressed to using other drugs after trying marijuana. Some do and some don't. I find it interesting that pot is often referred to as a gateway drug but most people try alcohol first. I guess since alcohol is legal it doesn't get referred to as a drug but I think most people would agree that it is.

I have never understood why marijuana has been called a "gateway drug."

I don't buy into the gateway drug theory.  Besides, in my opinion, if anything were going to be considered a gateway drug, it would be alcohol.  However, I still do not see a causal relationship between alcohol use and a lifetime history of illicit substance abuse.

I'm interested in reading other replies to this post.

I agree with you ladybug. I think it depends for some people but I guess since it does apply to some people.. It is considered a gateway drug because you won't know if you fall into that category unless you try. The safest way is to stay abstinent from everything.

Alcohol is more dangerous in my opinion.

I think so too.

I agree also with it being one for some and not for others... it seems like it's usually the first "drug" people start on, but this fact is commonly misinterpreted that it'll mostly likely lead onto the usage of "harder" drugs. I've used it and don't really show any interest at all in ever doing anything like cocaine, heroin, or meth; what I was constantly told in school at that time lead me to believe that one puff would soon lead me down a road of pill-popping and injecting. It didn't.

Most of my school "education" on drugs and alcohol starting when I was 9 chalked up to be nothing more than fear mongering. In fact, with me it made me more curious. Probably did for other kids, too. 

For me personally, it might have been, but I know a lot of people who never tried had drugs. When I was in my late teens, I was doing whatever drugs I could get my hands on, partly because there was a lot of shit going on and partly because I really loved getting high. I think it depends on the person. I have heard of people who try hard drugs without ever trying grass, so it's hard to see. Also, if it is a gateway drug, it's no more of one than cigs and booze.

The whole concept of "gateway drugs" is bogus and has zero basis in scientific research.

Correlation is not causation.

What I do think happens is that when cops come into schools with programs like DARE and lie to kids about how all drugs are bad and smoking pot will make you jump of a building because you'll think you can fly, kids get really misled.  When they do get around to trying pot, they find out they have been lied to and wonder if what they were told about all the other drugs was a lie too.  They might then experiment with harder stuff and that's where lives start to get fucked up.

The whole concept of "gateway drugs" is bogus and has zero basis in scientific research.

What I do think happens is that when cops come into schools with programs like DARE and lie to kids about how all drugs are bad and smoking pot will make you jump of a building because you'll think you can fly, kids get really misled.  When they do get around to trying pot, they find out they have been lied to and wonder if what they were told about all the other drugs was a lie too.  They might then experiment with harder stuff and that's where lives start to get fucked up.

I think that is a good point. Maybe people use it as a cautionary term. I believe in the addiction gene somewhat and calling marijuana a gateway drug could be to prevent people from trying it so these people don't trigger it

I agree with everything in this comment.

Honestly, I think actual honesty about drugs & drug use, and addiction, would go a lot further in helping to prevent addiction issues than all the lying and scare-mongering that goes on.  I think money should be re-directed away from things like the "war on drugs," laxer laws put in place to help make it less profitable or even unprofitable for organized crime to keep a high level of involvement in the drug trade, and the saved money put into increasing the availability and quality of addiction programs for the public.  But, y'know, that's just me.

Weed wasn't my gateway drug.  I did end up trying other drugs, but the first drug I ever tried was alcohol -- under the legal age for it too, which is 18 where I live.  If I had a "gateway drug" at all it was Ecstacy/stimulants in pressed pill format.  Before that I was extremely cautious with any of my drug intake, wouldn't even smoke weed if I was in a bad mood because I wanted it to enhance already pleasurable experiences or aid in some psychonautism exploration of my own psyche.  After I discovered stimulants though, all that went out the window.  This isn't to say that stimulants are the "true" gateway drug -- again I think the gateway drug thing is bogus, outside of what VE already outlined.  Just that once I discovered stimulants, personally, I threw all my personal boundaries surrounding drug use out the window and just went for whatever, whenever.

Weed was my last holdout drug, though.

I know many people who started with drugs other than cigarettes, alcohol, or weed, in their drug use.  Some of them went into heavy use of one or a few.  Some never got into heavy use of anything, even if they tried out a lot of drugs eventually over the years.

I don't know about an addiction gene -- I know for myself it was definitely about self-medicating my bipolar, my anxiety, my ADHD, and my leftover trauma issues.

Agreed.

As a side note, I think it may also have something to do with lowering your inhibitions; ie. doing shit that you'd never do sober [like experimenting with harder drugs] while intoxicated. This may be more of a boozer's problem though.

I do not personally think marijuana is a "gateway" drug . . .   at least not for most people.

I know many people who are in their 50's and 60's now who smoked pot while in college decades ago, and still occasionally smoke it (I always wonder where they get it!) and they are good, upstanding people by society's measure.   Many are social workers, teachers, etc.  (I hope the teachers are NOT getting it from their students, just for ethical and legal reasons!)  

One caveat:   In an ideal world, young people, especially those in formative years (teens) should be doing ANY drugs since their brains are still developing  .....   including alcohol.   They are definitely not mature enough to deal with the consequences and I agree; it may prove a slippery slope for them.   But that's an ideal world, and we're not living in one. 

I am no expert; I think I smoked pot twice in high school and didn't like it.    But I'm a recovering opiate addict (six years sober).  I can't say pot was a gateway drug to abusing narcotics, since that came much later in my life.    I do have two young adult children and younger brothers (they're older adults now).  I am aware all of them smoked pot @  earlier times in their lives, and none of them went on to harder drugs.  Of course, that is a pretty small sample.   

I am one of those folks who thinks alcohol does much more damage... especially physical damage to one's body when abused.   However, I guess "everything in moderation" would be key.

marijuana, for me, has served as a gateway to an increase in sugar consumption and willingness to passively absorb bad television.

i've never done harder drugs (except for hallucinogens way back in the day).  i'm terrified of them, actually.  i've always thought i'm the kind of person who if i try something once, and it feels really really good, i'll do it again and again until i'm hooked.  i do not need another addiction that might kill me, i'm already a cigarette smoker.

gateway theories are useless.  everyone is different.

Re:  the sentence - below - from my post above (which I can no longer edit)....   see the change in RED

One caveat:   In an ideal world, young people, especially those in formative years (teens) should NOT be doing ANY drugs since their brains are still developing .....

I did not intend to say that young people "should be doing ANY drugs"......   duh.  Hope readers knew that was a typo.