CrazyBoards.org

Valium questions

PBF

Seems like I'm gonna need benzos full time cause I'm often very anxious and get depressed when anxious.  Anxiety sucks.  The days pass and I realize I'm getting more and more dependent on xanax to function.  I can't have a good day without taking a miligram and a half of the stuff now.  Tolerance is already building up - 0.25mg at a time isn't enough anymore.  Need 0.5 to get relief.  Shit, I haven't been on it very long, so this ain't good  ;) .  I doubt xanax will be a good long term, regular med for me. 

Now.  My doc won't give me klonopin cause he says it makes you sluggish, drowsy and slurrs speach.  I think he has a point, starting a day with klonopin won't help me wake up at work (I start working at 7am).  So what choices do I have...  Not Ativan, its like xanax - short half life, addictive.  Plus I'm immune to it somehow, it does squat for me.  Not serax, same thing.  Not klonopin for the reason mentionned above. But what about valium? 

So here are my valium questions.  How long does a dose last in hours?  Valium's half life is super long so does that mean it would be possible to have once or twice a day dosing?  Is valium less likely to make you drowsy than klonopin?  And finally, is it effective for anxiety associated with bipolar disorder?

If anyone has input on valium, it would be appreciated.  I intend to talk to my doc about this med at the end of the month. 

PBF

I take valium 5mgs as a prn and it doesnt make me drowsy, it just relaxes me. You might want to start at 2mgs of valium, but then again, as with all benzos, the problems of tolerance and dependence are never too far away and you may end up in a similiar situation as with the xanax. To deal with this, my doctor gives me a limited prescription (10 pills a month) that I use for emergencies only.

PBF, what might be a good idea is to ask your doctor about betablockers for anxiety - I take 80mgs of inderal every day and never get panic attacks any more. I also take 10mgs as a prn and they work every bit as good as valium with the bonus that they are not addictive and you dont build up a tolerance to them. Inderal really turned my life around and virtually eliminated all my anxiety to the point where I only take valium maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I sing inderal's praises to everyone suffering from anxiety. Its worth talking to your doctor about.

i needed (and still need, to a lesser degree) full-time coverage.

i went from xanax (which lasted shorter and shorter) to klonopin (side effects for me were dry mouth and cottony head, and it too wore off to quickly and suddenly) to valium which has been the perfect solution for me.

i started at 30mg/day. i simply tried to spread it out as much as possible. my pills are 5mg and i often split them. the beauty of valium, for me (of course everyone is different), is:

1. it's coverage is longer (i don't get nightmares anymore, whereas even with klonopin i got anxious after five or six hours) and it slopes off much more gradually than the other two,

2. no noticeable side effects, and,

3. it is generally considered easiest to taper, so as my therapy has been working, i've tapered with ease down to 20mg/day.  ;)

so based on my experience it would be a good switch.

best of luck and please keep us posted. aloha.

Archived