Hello all.

New here and hoping someone can help me out, or offer some words of wisdom.  A little bit about me, I was recently diagnosed with Mixed Mood State, and was told it was on the bipolar spectrum, I am not entirely sure what this means, as everything I look up on it, points me to articles about bipolar. Even the mayo clinic website, which my dr recommended for me to learn more about it. I am not at all surprised by this, it makes sense and I have had a suspicion I may fall somewhere on the bipolar spectrum since my early 20’s ( I am 35 now.). The mixed moods makes perfect sense to me, and it explains why I can be fine one minute, fly off the handle the next and the very next be sinking into a deep, dark sad hole. My doctor is running labs now, and if all comes back ok, he is going to start me on depokate.

My dad had a bipolar type disorder (probably bipolar my mom can’t remember), and refused his lithium because he enjoyed the creativity he had. To be honest this is one of my worries about starting something like depokate—and just starting treatment in general. I wish I was in the super creative state all the time. It’s refreshing. My mom has a history of severe clinical depression. This makes me worried for my son, who is 19 months today. Between me, and his dad having illnesses run in his family (no one will say what, but an aunt has been hospitalized at the county mental hospital for decades, with an appointed guardian.).

I am hoping to find like minds here and some support… thanks…

Welcome, indy.  I'm assuming you're in the US since your doctor referred you to the Mayo Clinic site.  Was this a general practitioner or a psychiatrist?  If you haven't seen a psychiatrist (pdoc) or an ARNP (nurse practitioner), that would definitely be my first stop.  Doctors usually use the DSM in the US to make a diagnosis/diagnoses.  Basically, a group of doctors and researchers get together and decide which cluster of symptoms makes up a disorder.  If you have x out of y symptoms (sometimes for a particular duration), then you win a special diagnosis prize!  (That's usually medication.)

A short, and hopefully non-controversial, explanation of a "mixed state" is that you have both the symptoms of mania and depression (in some combination) at the same time.  For example, you might have tremendous amounts of energy, but all of that is focused on destructive thoughts.  It's not a fun place to be at all.  A "mixed state" falls under the bipolar umbrella because it's one of the "moods" (for lack of a better word) that bipolar people can experience.  Mania, hypomania, and depression are also mood states for people with bipolar.  People with bipolar usually go in and out of these mood states, and if they're lucky, have some periods of "normal" behavior in between.  Medication is used to help people stay on a more even-keel.

I hope this will be a useful place for you to ask questions and meet people.

Thanks. Yes I saw a dr of psychiatry after a referral from a neurologist.

After reading about mixed state. .. it explains my mood for the last long while. (Close to 12 years. Yikes)

I would also say I'm rapid cycling. I can go from one extreme to another and back again in a day or hours. It has been very difficult on my marriage. Thanks for the welcome! :)

I think I mentioned the dr wants to start me on depakote...

Welcome - and yes, I believe you will find many like-minded people here on CrazyBoards.  Lots of shared experiences, etc.

I do not have a diagnosis of bipolar so I can't say my experiences are the same as yours, but I wanted to welcome you to CB and encourage you to take advantage of all the sections, depending on your preferences:  the forums, the blogs, chat....  there's something for everyone.   I joined in late 2011 and I've found this to be a great place for support and friendship, albeit online.  

So - hope you like it here!

Welcome to Crazyboards!  I ask all new members to read the user agreement, to get an idea of how we operate.

Don't be afraid to contact a staff member if there is anything you don't understand.  We don't bite.  Much. :)

I hope you like our little corner of the internet.

olga