CrazyBoards.org

Can you help me

I have struggled with major depression for a long, long time.  But my therapist things that I may be mildly bipolar too, which scares me.  I know I am very moody, go through phases of extreme crabbiness and depression.  I started on Cymbalta 10 weeks ago.  At first I was almost exhilarated.  Then I crashed for no apparent reason for a few days, and then was exhilarated and felt really good for a few days.  Right now I feel kind of normal, but a little excited.  I know yesterday I felt good, too good to be true.  In two days I cleaned the basement, painted my boys' bedroom and hung new blinds, and painted the basement stairwell and cleaned out the toy closet.  I don't know if this is normal or not, but I haven't had thims much energy in a long, long time.  I'm just afraid of another depressive crash. 

Are there people out there that have been diagnosed with bipolar disease that have tricky, masked symptoms?  If so, what meds do you take, and how were you diagnosed. 

I know I'm not quite "right" yet with the meds, but I am kind of a medication "virgin".

Thanks so much.  This board is great!

BP is very tricky to diagnose. Even a good Pdoc can take weeks or longer to be sure.

BTW, studies show that BP'er's especially BPII can spend up to 53% of the time depressed. And as far the "up" swings, who goes to the doc when you are feeling energetic?  Hence the common misdiagnosis of depression.

A.M.

Check out Dr. Phelps great website:

www.psycheducation.org

I used to have hard to find symptoms before I was diagnosed bipolar.  I was just on Effexor and I was mostly depressed most of the time so I thought I was just depressed and so did my pdoc.  But then I would get those sort of highs you described, and was finally diagnosed BP by my next pdoc from the descriptions of the mood swings I have and especially since it runs in my family.  It is hard to diagnose because sometimes it's hard to know if manic episodes are just bouts of energy and feeling happy like usual, or infact really manic episodes.  It'll take some time for you to figure it out if you are BP.

All my psychiatric meds are in my sig. ;)

"I could feel a little manic for a long time.  I just don't see anything wrong with that!"

I think my husband would agree. He did do it, as a matter of fact, for years at a time. But there was always a crash. His crashes were hypomania (mild mania) to full-blown mania, then on to psychosis, and THEN I had to call the people with the funny white coats that tie in the back to take him away. After a couple of those cycles, he got his first depressive crash and it has taken him 2 years to crawl out of it. Not pretty.

Just remember, what goes up must come down.

Thanks for referring me to that website.  That was very helpful.  These meds are scary...I don't know why...just scary.  Right now I just feel so  unsure of my emotions.  I feel like I don't trust that anything I feel is "real", or just and "episode".  Man, I hate being screwed up!

Archived