CrazyBoards.org

stratarra side effects

Guest Guest_lonnie_*

Guest Guest_lonnie_*

I was changed from ritalin to stratarra  and now I am burping and farting all the time and have to take OTC antigas stuff or have terrable cramps.  So I think I am going to stop taking it.  I am getting tired of taking meds.  The docs dont wanta give me ritalin witch works fine but who needs the hassul anyway.    I am Lonnie Seems like every time or two I come I have trouble re - re - reregestering  so being a guest is fine.    sorry- not having the best night.

Ginger is supposed to help with digestive problems.  If the Strattera is working otherwise, you might want to try some gingerale or ginger tea before giving up on it.  Oh, and Twinnings makes this really good lemon & ginger tea.  I'm a big fan.

I hope you feel better, Lonnie!

~CS

I have weird problems logging in from school, myself.  I don't know what is up with that. 

I'm sorry the Strattera doesn't seem to be working out for you.  How long have you been on it, and at how high a dose?  Has it been at all effective up until now?  I'm just grasping at dark corners here, wondering if there was maybe a time at a lower dose where the good outweighed the bad.  If not, then it is back to the drawing board. 

A lot of people find that their side effects clear up before too long at a given dose.  For me, it takes about ten days.  If you're new to this dose, maybe they will disappear before too long.  CS is right about the healing properties of ginger.  It's one non-pill option which might help take the edge off your physical misery.  When do you next see your doctor? 

Good luck in finding something that will work for you.  As for your bad night tonight, most bad things seem less bad with good food, and I have just miraculously succeeded in making a fabulous carrot ginger soup from scratch.  (I am not a cook.)  It's actually really really good.  I offer you a cyber sampling, and my best wishes for tomorrow. 

up past her bedtime,

lmnop

I was changed from ritalin to stratarra  and now I am burping and farting all the time and have to take OTC antigas stuff or have terrable cramps. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently those are not-uncommon side-effects (CrazyMeds write-up). If the underlying mechanism

is anything like the constipation associated with Strattera and Wellbutrin, it should go away. If it's

working, then it might be good to go ahead and stick with it - those effects usually subside.

Another couple of cramps/gas suggestions would be chamomile tea, and increasing

the fiber in your diet. And yet nother home remedy for stomach upset is cola syrup.

Guest Guest_lonnie_*

Hi Folks - You have all been giving wonderful advice.  Unfortuatly I have tryed it all before. sigh.... I have been on strattera 60 mg for around 8 months.  It works better then nothing but i want my ritalin back (aint gonna happen).  This symptom ,that is burping and farting has been going on the whole time.  Its not going to go away.  It is some what funny I know but mostly it is physically uncomfotable and socialy inhibbiting.  Maybe it is because I have had to deal with EI stuff most of my life and I am tired to trying to cooperate/work it out  with the doctors/medical system.  I seriously think I am gonna just feel bad for a while. And not do nuthen.  Any guesses of how long withdraw is going to last?  I am on my 3rd day off the stuff.  Thanks lots for the support guys.  Lonnie

Guest Guest_lonnie_*

Hi CS,  The doctor took me off because he is conserned about his practice and record of med dispencing (he has never had problems because he plays it ultra safe).  I could get ritalin if I could pay 100 dollars a RX by a pych. doc and travel 120 miles once a month.  Cant do it any more.  My options are limmited. You think 8 months is not long enough to know if a med is working or not?  Also wondered why my topic thread was changed as med was dispenced for ADD.  Bye for now,  Lonnie

Lonnie~

I'm sorry...I saw

I am on my 3rd day off the stuff.
and thought it said you were on your third day of the stuff, referring to the Strattera.  I should read more closely.

It seems to me that your doctor should make prescription decisions based on what's best for you, not what's best for his practice or his record.  Maybe you should go to one of those elementary schools where they hand out Ritalin like candy.  (Not all schools do this, by the way, just the crummy ones.)  Just pretend you're 6 years old and really hyperactive. ;)

I'm not sure why this topic was moved.  Mods, can one of you put it back in the ADD forum for Lonnie?

~CS

Guest Guest_lonnie_*

Hi Troop,  Yep I have tried those other meds for my (many other dx encluding depression) some of which helped with my depression.  However I do actiully have adult ADD.  I have had ADD all my life.  The folks in-the-know med docs say yes you do have adult ADD.  So of course they do not want me to take the proven treatment of ritalin but to take the  ...  safer .... new med stattara [bad spelling - sorry]  So I try it.  It sorta helps sometimes but has the side effect of messen with my digstion.  That is I fart and burp.  So I am feeling its time to stop takin the stuff.  The last 4 days have not been fun. My perceptions of the world are pretty hit or maydy if your lucky a close pass by to what the ---- really happened as i try and process my enviornment.  Right now as I am typing the letters on the screen are somewhat fluid in that they may get larger or move or some one letter stands out on the page.  None of that stuff is happening.  Its in my head - the way I am processing what I am seeing.  I have just reallized we went on a little detore here.  I am not sure wheather to say sorry or to enjoy the ride.  Anyway the point stixk to the point is that strattara is presribed for folks with ADD mostly.  So folks with ADD would be the ones who may be able to answer my questions.  The nice folks here (love them) gennerally are not on strattra um  idont think.  So thats why I wanted to know why my post was moved to a differnt tread.  p.s.  No I am not drunk.    My house is a mess.  I look at all the work to be done and want to do it but cant figure out wht to do secound. ok ok long enough  bye for now,  still not recognized lonnie

The folks in-the-know med docs say yes you do have adult ADD.  So of course they do not want me to take the proven treatment of ritalin but to take the  ...  safer .... new med stattara

So you have ADD.  You have taken Ritalin -- not abused it, but used it appropriately -- with good effects.  You have been forced to discontinue Ritalin not because of uneffectiveness or terrible side effects or a danger to your health, but because the doctor isn't comfortable with you taking a medication with potential for abuse. 

If I have the facts right, then I think your doctor's position is bull.  My opinion doesn't count, but there it is. 

I can understand wanting to go off the Straterra, especially after eight months of intolerable side effects, but cold turkey is usually not the way to go.  Tapering is safer.  80 to 60 for a week, 60 to 40 for a week, 40 to 25, 25 to 18, and finally 18 to 10.  It isn't necessary to hit every single one of those gradations at the low end, but easing off this stuff can keep things like distorted vision from happening.  I don't know if you could take a lower dose of Strattera for a couple of weeks, or if that would help after five days off already, but that might make the transition easier. 

Are you in communication with your doctor about quitting Strattera?  What did s/he say?  Now that you are definitely leaving this med behind, could your doctor perhaps help you with a discontinuation plan? 

The medication folders on CrazyBoards are divided according to class, not use.  Part of this is that any given medication could have many different uses, whether on- or off-label.  Having a migraines medication folder, an ADD medication folder, an epilepsy medication folder, et cetera, would lead to one drug being discussed in a dozen folders, rather than the same question being asked and answered once for everybody.  This means that there is no ADD medication folder.  There is a CNS stimulant folder, covering stimulant drugs used for ADD, narcolepsy, depression, and so on, and there a folder for non-SSRI antidepressants, which are used for depression, bipolar, binge eating, ADD, and so forth.  Strattera, as an SNRI, technically calls into that category.  The assumption is that people who are on Strattera (including ADDers) are likely to read the folder which discusses Strattera and its chemical cousins, which would be this one. 

Ultimately, it's up to the moderator's judgment to decide where a post is likely to receive the most traffic from people able to answer.  I act as a member in other people's folders, not a mod.  I'm just a person taking Strattera (wondering if it will ever prove itself effective), trying to help out. 

Guest Guest_lonnie_*

Thanks for the info.  That answers my questions regarding why this tread.  Now it makes sence.  Good advice regarding tapering off med but now that I have gone this far I will just keep going.  Stuff looks better this morning. You got it right about why my med was changed.  I fear to try and change things as this doc was the one who got my disability qualified and I have a 3 year reveiw.  Any other doctor I can go to belongs to the same clinic and I dont want them getting upset with me.  Now that other people are not dependant on me anymore I think I will just be more mentaly interesting then ussual for a while.  Thanks for the answers and support.  Lonnie

Archived