CrazyBoards.org

Hey guys,

OK so I was just wondering how do you people get energy?

I have a hard time taking stimulants so I am trying to avoid that.

Is there anything I could take , like from CVS, Walgreens, or Target? To give me energy?

Thanks for the info!

As far as I know, anything you could buy over-the-counter to keep up your energy would probably act pretty similar to a stimulant.

I stay energized with caffeine, which is also a stimulant, and I really need to cut back... so I can't exactly recommend that! :)

What is your sleep schedule like? That may have something to do with why you're so tired during the day.

Edited by daisy

caffeine... I use it, I take lithium. Not real proud of that one.  My meds are getting adjusted here and I noticed that my energy is a bit better.

Do you exercise?  That really will help throughout the day.  Try and get some HIIT ( high intensity interval training) a few days a week, where you get your heart rate in the 90% of your max.  Short and quick workout.  Very hard, BUT you would be surprised at how energized you feel when you get some good hard exercise.  Your energy will improve.

Try and stay away from junk food ( I am a hypocrite in this area).  Junk food spikes your blood sugar and then you crash later and are tired.

I get enough sleep and that helps.

OK, that is just a few ideas. Implement one or all and you should notice some difference.

Also talk to psych about adjusting meds a bit.

Going out in search of something to take for energy is generally a bad idea. Especially for more than a couple days.

The key is usually making sure your psych meds are not making you tired. From there it's mostly lifestyle. Diet, exercise, sleep. For some this is easier said than done. But looking for energy in a pill or a bottle is probably not a good idea.

I take a stimulant, and as a result, can't have caffeine. Prolonged caffeinated can have some very bad effects... I did a paper on it for school once. The one thing that got my sleep under control, and as a result my energy and everyday life, was talking to my doctor and getting on sleep medicine.

There are some things you can do to eat natural fruits/veggies and change up your eating habits, but I'd recommend talking to your doctor to see what their advice is. 

Caffeine in a tonic with B vitamins, called Bioplus (here in South Africa). I kid myself that it's good for me because of the B vitamins. But I don't abuse it and I hardly ever have tea or coffee.

I also credit my Wellbutrin which gave me energy when I was depressed. How much of a factor that still is, I don't know.

Just listen to what everybody else said and forget that I said that I used caffeine, even if I didn't recommend it. Their advice is all MUCH better.

But I honestly do believe that a regular sleep schedule can also help with fatigue during the day. Of course, that's much easier said than done.

I am not working, so this may not work for you. I find that if I wake up at 5am and start moving around I have more energy those days. I Also start with the caffeine at that point. 

Currently, sleep and strict rest just short of sleep, but these are only moderately and briefly effective.

SLEEP! Also takeing time to just be and enjoy this is a huge reenigizer for me. As a 110% introvert I need my quiet time to regenerate.

Sleeping and eating properly! Also, I need to sort of pace myself so I don't get overtired. Lots of activity and not much rest inevitably leads to a crash that can take ages to come back up from.

I also like to do something nice for myself like painting my nails or making something nice to eat can give me a little energy boost and the motivation to get things done when I'm tired.

I would say for myself I need that morning caffeine. It stops me from just going back to bed. But then I try to exercise. Also yes getting enough sleep. Or drinking some ice cold water in the afternoon. All these things help me with energy. Oh and I sometimes try to rest in the afternoon.

In my experience caffeine will give me energy for about an hour and then I will crash into a great whole of despair.

Sleeping, eating healthy foods and exercise will help your energy levels.

Have small doses of tea and coffee if you need to.

Have you had your iron levels checked?  (Simple blood test)

If your diet is poor (as mine is) you may have low iron levels which can affect energy.

I started taking a supplement that my GP recommended and this seemed to improve things a little.

I second iron.

Its a common deficiency and low ferritin levels even if they are within the normal range could give you low energy.

For me, it's music. I do all the "right things" (exercise, get plenty of sleep, take vitamins, get tested for medical problems), but I'm still sleepy because of my meds. Music really helps to keep me moving and energized.

There are a lot of possible physical causes for this, such as low thyroid and others mentioned here, so a check up with a generalist doc to rule out physical causes is in order.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Aeiou62
      I need some energy, some motivation, some good manic voodoo. Why cant i have that without losing my damn fool mind.?
      Hasnt anyone looked at that? Why must I be either lazy and lethargic or 90mph? Im always tired, always fatigued. I need to know how to get my mojo going WITHOUT my kookoo taging along every time. I cant believe nobody has studied this.
    • By Oniliscious
      I was recently put on Cymbalta 30mg for the depression side of my bipolar. Although it's starting to help with my depression, I see no improvement in energy. In fact, every single medication that I've been placed on to combat depression has not helped much with my energy levels. So, all I resort to is coffee and I can't stand coffee. It works, but sometimes I feel a little overstimulated. I've tried stimulants before, but they just made me go nuts. I've done some research on energy supplements, but I've found studies that show that herbs interfere with psychotropic medications and are not recommended. Are there any safe energy supplements, ones without herbs or are just safe to take that you may heard of or tried? Or am I completely out of luck?
      Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

• By Oniliscious
      Hello everyone,
      I have bipolar 1 disorder and have been struggling with mental blocks, anxiety and motivation/energy issues. Whenever I want to do an activity, especially writing and drawing, I just cannot seem to be able to do it. It's not like I don't have the capabilities, but to conjure up creative ideas and to organize my thoughts are just the most difficult things in the world. I have a lot of anxiety too and I take meds for them, but I still feel at my worst almost every single day. I deal with this issue the most when I'm off from work, because I spend most of my time at home trying to figure out ways of being productive other than being at work. After 7-8 years of figuring out what types of meds work for me, I still find myself facing this same problem. It's ironic though, because when I'm at work, I'm fine. When I'm home, I'm a slug in bed or up just smoking cigarettes to distract me from hell for the next 5 minutes... It's sad.
      PS. These issues also translate through my academic life, I lost energy and focus so quickly that I withdraw or fail the class almost immediately. I've dropped like 5-6 classes in the span of my entire college career and defaulted my final thesis course. I have a fear of academics because of the issues that I'm facing and they're not allowing me to move forward in any category of my life. I feel stuck everyday!
      I don't know if anyone else deals with productivity issues, motivation/energy issues or mental blocks, but if there are any of you out there who do can you please help me?
      And are there any energy supplements that are safe to use with psychotropic medications?
    • By Oniliscious
      I was recently prescribed Strattera 60mg to help with concentration and a little with motivation. Well, I still find myself struggling with productivity and motivation every single day.
      A typical day looks like this: I wake up, I take Strattera and Lithium in the AM. I stay in bed for about an hour mainly to let the Strattera kick in. Unfortunately, I still feel tired, nonfunctional and unmotivated all throughout the rest of the day. Lithium only helps with my moods, so I don't expect it to do anymore. But it takes me all day to finally take a shower and sometimes I don't! If I am productive, I work part-time because it's all I can handle right now, so I'm home the majority of the time. So, working 4-5x/week is kind of a struggle because of the mornings but I need an income of a sort. My evenings are fairly bording, unproductive and mostly spent at home with my family. I usually can't wait until the night comes so that I can just take the rest of my cocktail and go to bed. There's nothing active or fun or worthwhile in between this time period. It's all mostly spent suffering over my condition.
      This has been a 6 year battle. Is anyone facing anything similar to this? If so, how do you deal with it? I need a solution to feeling better!
    • By Oniliscious
      Hi Everyone,
      So, I was diagnosed with bipolar I disorder and ADHD in 2011 and ever since then, I have lost control over my ability to stay mentally and physically energized or fully concentrated. I have switched medications several times with both diagnoses and the medications below are what seem to be the most effective for now. However, they still do not hit the spot in terms of energy. Everything else, they do. Even on Vyvanse, I still can't concentrate. I can sit down to start doing my homework and within 5-10 minutes, I am up doing something else and I'm not without feeling frustrated with myself. This is my 6th year in college for all that bipolar and ADHD have put me through and I'm taking my last and final class for the second time. I was a great student with great grades at first, but I've lost complete and utter control and it makes me feel incapable and unsuccessful as a student and person. When I wake up everyday, I feel groggy, unmotivated and just all around tired and fatigued and this lasts throughout the day. I can't even work myself up to take a shower unless I do take Vyvanse to give me a small jolt for the remainder of the day. My favorite activities like piano, biking and drawing have all gone out the door. And every time I go to the doctor, my medication treatment is just never good enough, which creates this unwanted negative attitude streak. I am not a person of negativity because I know that these conditions have suppressed the real person that I am. My doctor suggested Provigil and I've heard a some positive things about it, but wasn't sure if my insurance covered it, hence the Vyvanse. I'm willing to try it, but I don't know whether it's long term or short term or if it can be use long term. It's an impossible journey I must say and I have no idea where to go from here. So, I'm looking for some help in every area I can use.
      Has anyone ever gone through anything similar or can relate to this? What were your remedies and has anyone else tried or is on Provigil? If you have, please tell me what your thoughts are on the medication.