CrazyBoards.org

Abit of a strange story, two years ago i was put on prozac for rather severe depression and had a hypomanic episode (hypersexuality, impulsiveness, reckless behaviour). A year later i was put on abilify, with the intention of then putting me ona anti depressent which never happened, and after two months made me hear voices in my head telling my things i didnt want too hear- (example- thoughts about sex when around family, made me want to scratch my eyes out!) since then severe depression (although not as bad) has returned i've been put on Abilify 1.5mg a day, in a couple days ill beput of a ssri (faster than last time in the hope of avoiding the bad thoughts). However, after a week of feeling sedated in the last couple of days i've felt so sped up, feel like jumping around and throwing things at walls and screaming, far too much energy. I was wondering if the abilify could have caused this hypomanic feeling, and if so how could a mood stabiliser cause mania in someone who was only depressed before and has never experienced mania not triggered by fluoxitine(prozac)? :unsure:

Abilify made me hypomanic in the beginning too. When I was on 5mg, I shot right up into a euphoric hypomania that lasted about a week. Eventually it wore off and I was left with a pleasant, calm energy. 

Now I take 30mg of Abilify and I've had to be careful with each dosage increase because it tends to make me speedy at first. 

Abilify is considered one of the more activating AAP's, it's not unheard of for someone to become hypo. I suggest talking to your doctor about this, given your history with Abilify. 

Abilify made me manic. It caused me to put my life in danger by running across a busy thru-way at 1am. It also gave me so much energy. I ran from college security too :D Then I went into the woods at night. It also made me so irritable that I kept screaming in anger at every little thing. Abilify can cause hypomania/mania. 

Medicines can cause different reactions in different people. Everyone's body is unique. One medicine could make me mania while it could make someone else sleep all day. 

I know Abilify's used in mania - but I don't know if it would technically be considered a "mood stabilizer." It's an antipsychotic.

Given your history with Abilify, it sounds like your doctor does not attribute the symptoms you described as due to the med or he is incompetent for putting you back on it. At any rate, it sounds like you are having hypo/manic symptoms. There are A LOT of other options. It sounds like this is not a very good choice for you.

Abilify can cause hypo/mania in some just like an antidepressant can. Geodon did it to me and then some. Some antipsychotics have too much antidepressant action for those who are sensitive to the hypo/mania effect of antidepressants if they are not on other stabilizers. Sometimes the effect is temporary. Other times it stays or symptoms worsen.

Has anyone talked to you about Lamictal? It is an anticonvulsant that is often used with MDD follks who display BP symptoms when on ADs (often diagnosed as BPII instead of MDD). It is a different class of med than Abilify and might be worth talking over with your doc.

I'm the odd one out here, apparently. Abilify snapped me out of a horrible mixed episode I was having. I started out at 15 mg but they upped it to 30 when I had another episode. Once they bumped it up to 30 mg it changed my life. No joke. It's done way more for me than the Lamictal I've been taking for years. Together, they have allowed me to be a functioning human being.  Although, it's possible that I was hypomanic when I first started it as well.

That said, it doesn't seem like it's right for you. Have you talked to your doctor about all of this? Good luck, I hope you find something that works.

Abilify made me extremely jittery, and the tremors were horrible. I couldn't hold anything, it did absolutely nothing for me except make me feel horrible.

A lower dose of abilify made me slightly hypo but once I reached 40mg I was feeling more like myself than I had been in a long time. In fact, it saved me from a long hospitalization.

5mg of abilify made me manic, even though my pdoc told me it was actually an anti-manic. I ended up in hospital, where they took me off it.

Abilify caused akathisia, severe anxiety and restlessness, and did nothing for my mania, even when the pdoc bumped it up to 30mg...in fact I got worse and was subsequently taken off Abilify. I take Prozac 40mg (Along with others, see sig below) and it only did good things with my mood

maybe there are just a couple of odd birds out on this one, but abilify pulled me out of my worst anxious and hypomanic state where i was irritable, anxious and spending money i didn't have, on top of sleeping like crap. YMMV.

Abilify did wonders for my mixed episodes and probably literally saved my life. (15 mg). It's too bad that I developed a weird tongue tremor and had to stop it. I hope things settle for you with it!

I'm another one that abilify really helped.  It calmed the hallucinations and delusions down, not all the way gone, but I could think straight after starting it.  Have been on it for about 10 years with no problems.

It's good to know that it really helps some people, because I am still bitter about the way I felt and acted when I was on it.  Really bitter.  When I see those cute little ads with the adorable depression sinkhole with eyeballs, I get upset.

You may want to talk with your doctor about decreasing/increasing/eliminating your dose.  I don't think it's too soon.

Abilify helped around 6mg's, and at 10mg's I got so irritable and restless I ended up literally talking myself into a 72 hour observation visit. 

Moving this to anti-psychotics.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By csr
      For the last 20 years i am taking, 800mg Lithium, 200mg Quitipine, 150mg Serlift, 150mg of Bioprion, 0.75 of Alprozolam.  I am now 54 years. Life is going on by God Grace. 

Physiological Problems Either 
      Mental Illness   2. Behaviour 
      In Behaviour  special children  in public places Masterbating, or touching the Genetical Parts or Touching Chin....... 

For me, from the age of 28 years to till now, I did not go to the above extreme, but 
      Whenever I go outside I used to see Ladies private parts, then my mind change to normal. I was working many firms for the  lost 30 years. 

Now I am facing shame is , my daughter 22 years. When we go outside me, wife and daughter, I did the same thing and my daughter noticed also. Still many responsibility for me, like my daughter marriage, then there is  a  functions etc. 

So I want your advise. I need to have Therapy or Physiatrist Doctor. Can you pls advise. 

I have been on Sertaline 100mg for the last 20 years and for the last 5 years Buprion 150mg XL (to reduce the smoking, i reduced to 4 per day). As i said above an example, i find very hypersexuality and i find one article today. Here i enclosed here.
        My question: how to replace Sertaline 100mg and will stop Buproin 150mg completely. Can anyone give suggestion Pls.

• By thoughtcrime
      So, I was extremely depressed in January after tapering off all my meds on my own (stupid). My doctor put me back on Wellbutrin, and we decided to try Prozac as an SSRI. The Prozac wasn't kicking in and I learned about the GeneSight genetic test for antidepressants. I asked for and had the task done. They never sent me a copy of the results.
      After a month on the Prozac and no help, I also asked to go up from 300mg Wellbutrin XL to 450mg, and that seemed to help. I had an appointment mid-April and was mostly feeling better. He decided to keep me where I was at. I forgot to ask about the GeneSight results.
      I generally feel good during the week but am miserable on the weekends. I generally lay in bed all day feeling depressed, binge eat, try and sleep as much as possible. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed with medication or if it is purely behavioral. My therapist suggests making plans for the weekend ahead of time and trying to make my weekends structured.
      I finally got around to sending the doc a message on the patient portal asking about the GeneSight results. He responded that the report showed all my meds were good for me except Prozac. The test recommends Lexapro or Zoloft instead. He did not say anything about changing the Prozac.
      For three days I have been trying to make an appointment to see the doctor. If I call I'm on hold for 10 minutes before leaving a message. I've also tried requesting an appointment with the patient portal. Nothing. So, I'm thinking about just messaging the doc (since I know he responds) and mention the problems I'm having on the weekends as well as concerns I have about staying on Prozac. I want to know if I should switch, or if I should just stay where I'm at since I'm basically doing good except no motivation and very depressed on the weekends.
      What do you all think I should do? Ask the doctor online about switching, keep trying to make an appointment, or just try and add structure to the weekends and see if I can get by without a med change?
      Current meds (all generic):
      Wellburtrin XL: 450mg
      Prozac: 20mg
      Seroquel: 200mg
      trazodone: 400mg
      hydroxyzine: 25mg 3x daily P.R.N.
    • By thebakerbunny
      Hi, all. I feel like a newb oldie: been on here a while, still feel dumb as shit with all the o chem breakdowns and acronyms.
      Anyway- I've been maxed out on effexor xr for years now. I've taken it pretty consistently for...12 years? with a few breaks to try something new. There aren't many details I can remember well (always had a bad memory, now it's basically a vestigial feature), but here's what I've garnered: 
      *SSRIs and i seem to not mix. Not just some side effects, but all the side effects, and no or negative improvement.
      *wellbutrin did nothing for me. Not good, not bad- just nothing. 
      *Effexor was good- great, even- before I tapped out. I've just been staying with it till I can figure something out.
      *currently, I take 225 mg Effexor (and several doctors have told me now that they flat out won't go above that), 150 lamictal, and klonopin and Ambien as needed. (And as I've been mightily depressed lately...I've been "as needing" them a lot more.)

I've been wanting to change for a while now, and I've been studying up to see what might be some better options, but haven't had a tdoc or pdoc in the meantime. I'm meeting new ones shortly and I want to take some suggestions to them. Problem is that I'm allergic to a few things, with varying degrees of severity and type of allergic reactions. Any suggestions of SNRIs, TCAs, or MAOIs that aren't: 
      *sulfa-meds (full body hives. Like...full body- between my toes, in my buttcrack...😬)
      *compazine (difficult breathing, light anaphylaxis.)
      *darvocet, Vicodin (full-blown anaphylaxis.)

I have been given morphine with no reaction (so, what- does this mean that synethics cause issues, but cleaner natural versions don't?), and take imitrex regularly. I'm not smart enough to understand all of the individual components, and too ADD to have the patience to learn which causes what.
      I feel like it's got be something pretty potent, since I've been middling- to severely-depressed pretty constantly (easily 8 out those 12 years), but I also don't need anything that's going to make me lethargic. Apathetic, fine- just please, no serious drowsiness.  
      I defer to you guys and gals and pals for what your thoughts are on what might be most effective, but also won't send me to the ER.

• By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.
    • By sming
      Hey,
      So about 5pm every day of late, my mood just turns black. I can't buy a neutral (forget positive) cognition or emotion, I start to feel and think very negatively no matter what I do. Of course, I'm feeling and thinking badly beforehand, but it just sinks to another level, or depth if you will. 
      So I'm wondering if it's a med (or meds) that I'm taking that's losing effect around 5pm. I take the following meds - yes, it's a crazy-looking brew I know, but it allows me to function somewhat - at 6am (in milligrams):
      200 Provigil, 2.5 Abilify, 40 Fetzima, 30 Lexapro, 15 BuSpar, 150 Lyrica, 10 Percocet and these at 2pm:
      150 Lyrica, 15 BuSpar and these 4 times a day, where the last dose is typically 2pm:
      15 Adderall 10 Percocet (for chronic pain) and these at 7pm for sleep:
      150 Trazodone, 50 Benedryl It's impossible to confidently predict a "culprit" but if anyone has any hunches, I'd love to hear them.
      For example, today I'm splitting (some of) the 6am batch into two and  taking the second half at 2pm as an experiment. I feel that empirical experimentation might be the way to go because the theory is too complex with this many psychotropic medications in play. 
      Cheers , Pete