CrazyBoards.org

Thinking about Keppra, but other ACs sucked...

Hi,

I've been trying out various "mood stabilizers" under a possible hypothesis of BPII --- mostly depression and (largely social) anxiety. So far, no luck... Lithium: small anti-depressant effect, but weird anxiousness (see my other post). Lamictal: had hope, but activated me to the point of panic at 50 mg/day. Depakote: increased depression and experienced cognitive dulling at even 250 mg/day. Trileptal: same at only 75 mg/day.

My pdoc mentioned Keppra as another possibility. I read the page on crazymeds.us about it and increased depression is mentioned there as well. My question is: can I generalize based on my reactions to Depakote and Trileptal that this is the way it will treat me? Or is different different?

I haven't actually read much about Keppra on this board. Does with experience with Keppra have anything to say about it one way or the other? (Esp. for soft bipolarity, but other comments welcome.)

I wish YaBB Crazy Talk was still up because I feel like there's probably some relevant stuff over there. *frust*

Thanks,

cache-monkey

hey cache-monkey

Haven't seen you around lately. Hope you're doing o.k.

This would fall under 'other comments'

My wife takes high dose of Keppra for fibromyalgia. It was prescribed by her neurologist. It does wonders for body aches and migraine headaches. She is very prone to anxiety. It doesn't do much for her in that respect. She also has to take a sleep med to counteract the stimulation. She is not bipolar.

Try it and see what happens. It may work for you.

Hi:

I love Keppra, which helps me greatly with my, now former, agitation and irritability. Keppra was the last medication added to my cocktail, and, within a few days, I was a much calmer person. Since I already had three medications on board, I am not sure how it would have been by itself. The only side effect I experience from Keppra is that it makes me sleepy.

I don't think that you should use your reactions to Depakote and Trileptal to predict the way it will treat you, because Keppra is different different (but so are Depakote and Trileptal). However, my personal experience, which is worth zero compared to your pdoc's expertise, is that Keppra is more of a top-down anticonvulsant, and that might help more with anxiety than depression. Again, my personal experience, is that if other medications were too activating, Keppra would be great choice with which to counter.

Some time ago, I read all the posts at CrazyTalk about Keppra, and, to the best of my recollection, most of the posts join to form a consensus that Keppra is really a kick-ass anti-manic (nothing there on the depression side, but not a lot of folks taking Keppra, either).

My experience was that it got into my system and worked quickly; I would say that it would not take much effort at all to give it a trial. If I was in your shoes, and assuming that they fit, I would not, however, touch Keppra until I gave Lexapro a fair trial. If you add Keppra before that, you just don't know what's doing what, and it sounds like there is a lot of information to gather in order to help you get better.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Todd.

Hey Cache-monkey...I am on 750mg of keppra a day...they had to lower it because I actually had a reaction to it...yeah...but only .o4% of people are prone to this...and combined with my other meds that Im on, my epilepsy, high anxiety and stressful living situation I was in, and previous reactions to meds, plus the fact that Im a weirdo when it comes to meds...sometimes these things are bound to happen. When they lowered my dose a little, I was back to myself.

I have honestly nothing but good things to say about Keppra, so do my docs...and according to my neuro, all of his patients on Keppra have had no complaints. He said it is one of the least side effect meds out there, which is why your probably having a hard time finding alot of info. on the med...when I first went on it, I went all over the net looking for reactions, med interactions, etc. I was scratching my head. Its a fairly good med and has done wonders for controlling my seizures, and along with my cocktail of DepakoteER and Topamax, its been great at stabilizing my moods as well.

hey cache-monkey

Haven't seen you around lately. Hope you're doing o.k.

This would fall under 'other comments'

My wife takes high dose of Keppra for fibromyalgia. It was prescribed by her neurologist. It does wonders for body aches and migraine headaches. She is very prone to anxiety. It doesn't do much for her in that respect. She also has to take a sleep med to counteract the stimulation. She is not bipolar.

Try it and see what happens. It may work for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey s_z_s,

I'm doing alright, but just barely. The past few months have been a *huge* transition, and I didn't have a decent base of meds in place before starting. I'm slowly settling down, but am still stuck with a lot of negative stuff. Anxiety, depression, amotivation. Just started with a new pdoc and therapist and am resuming the quest for stability. Slow going, though...

Interesting that Keppra is stimulating for your wife. I read the abstract Jerod linked on crazymeds re: increased cognition on Keppra. Wonder if that's related to stimulation somehow.

Hope you're doing well,

cache-monkey

Hi:

I love Keppra, which helps me greatly with my, now former, agitation and irritability. Keppra was the last medication added to my cocktail, and, within a few days, I was a much calmer person. Since I already had three medications on board, I am not sure how it would have been by itself. The only side effect I experience from Keppra is that it makes me sleepy.

I don't think that you should use your reactions to Depakote and Trileptal to predict the way it will treat you, because Keppra is different different (but so are Depakote and Trileptal). However, my personal experience, which is worth zero compared to your pdoc's expertise, is that Keppra is more of a top-down anticonvulsant, and that might help more with anxiety than depression. Again, my personal experience, is that if other medications were too activating, Keppra would be great choice with which to counter.

Some time ago, I read all the posts at CrazyTalk about Keppra, and, to the best of my recollection, most of the posts join to form a consensus that Keppra is really a kick-ass anti-manic (nothing there on the depression side, but not a lot of folks taking Keppra, either).

My experience was that it got into my system and worked quickly; I would say that it would not take much effort at all to give it a trial. If I was in your shoes, and assuming that they fit, I would not, however, touch Keppra until I gave Lexapro a fair trial. If you add Keppra before that, you just don't know what's doing what, and it sounds like there is a lot of information to gather in order to help you get better.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Todd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Todd,

You're definitely right that it would be best to settle in with the Lexapro for a little while. I just have this "possible BPII" diagnosis and wanted to think about hedges against destabilization. But, then, worrying is all I do sometimes, so it's probably good to take a step back.

Your (and Lisa_K's) information about Keppra is very useful, though, so thanks for that.

Best,

cache-monkey

• 6 months later...

Hello,

My experience with Keppra wasn't so good on the whole, but it seems I react weirdly to most meds. It's supposed to be quite good for pain. I've actually noticed an increase in generalized pain since stopping it and am wondering if Keppra was doing something for me in that department.

Good luck with it!

~cache-monkey

• 1 month later...

Hey Cache-Monkey......

I have been on 1000mg Keppra for quite some time now...and have had very few problems with depression. It really seems to work for me. Though it can just poop out on ya as with any other medicine. I would definitely give it a try!!!! It took me a while to find the right one as well!!!

--Good Luck!!

~Sebrina

Hi Sebrina,

I actually ended up tryinhh the Keppra, but couldn't get past 250 before the depression set in for me. So my hypersensitive body/mind are on to other mood stabilizers: Tegretol. For now. (I might be allergic.)

But I'm glad that the Keppra has been doing ya alright. It seems kind of a mixed bag with it. For some people it's a good mania-killer... I hope things keep working for you!

Best,

cache-monkey

Archived