tremor upon waking

since last year, i have this crazy tremor when i wake up after a long sleep (more than eight hours).  it is very pronounced - i remember when i was IP, the nurses would wake me to give me my morning meds.  not only could i not hold the cup of water without spilling - i couldn't even get my hand near enough to the cup to hold it at all, like my arms were almost flapping.  they'd have to let me go through my thing, then come get the meds at the desk. 

the tremor isn't just in my hands, my whole body shakes like that.  i can't stand up until it's over.  it only lasts a few minutes, thank god.  and it's strange, it doesn't happen if i sleep less than eight hours (i just wake up with my normal tremor).

is this familiar to anyone?  when i first wake up and this happens, i get kinda panicky that it won't stop.  once i'm really awake, i remember that it happens all the time and it doesn't bother me.  i'm just more curious about it than anything, i don't really need to make it go away at the expense of messing with meds (again).  i mentioned it to pdoc when it first started happening, and i got an "i don't really know".  i haven't mentioned it since because there are more important things to address.

Yes, this happens to me too ... even after only 2-3 hours of sleep (I don't sleep more than that at one time).  At first I thought it was something I needed a klonopin or xanax for but those didn't work.  The only thing that helps me is time.  After 5-10 minutes the shaking/tremors will slowly go away. 

But yes, I do know what you are talking about and totally hate it.  It feels kind of like I am very nervous even though I am not.

This happens to me too.  I do have a familial benign tremor in my hands but the shaking when I wake up is very different.  It happens for me after a short sleep as well, in fact I think it is more pronounced after a short sleep.  I wonder if it is low blood sugar, not enough protein and carbs.  Also could be my meds.  I do remember the shaking getting worse after starting lexapro years ago.

Another popular culprit is caffeine.  I stopped drinking coffee last year because the shaking was interfering with my job. My tea replacement is still pretty caffeinated but the shaking is better, I think.  

My pdoc gave me propranolol to take when working and it works beautifully. 

I am glad I'm not alone in this! I thought something was seriously wrong with me and I was imagining it. It happens to me after a short amount of sleep, I haven't noticed it after prolong sleep. I also get brain zaps if I take a short nap too! 

I think I might mention this to my GP! 

you're right, AnneMarie.  i need to sit down and make a list like that.  when i'm thinking about one symptom sometimes i forget about others.  i'll have to leave the list on the kitchen table and every time i think of something, write it down (cursed memory).

• 1 month later...