CrazyBoards.org

The subtitle of this forum, Gloom, Despair, and Agony on Me just doesn't sit right with me.  It sounds mocking.  Or it sounds like it is blaming the depressed person for saying, "woe is me."

Could we at least get rid of "on Me" in the subtitle?

Guest Vapourware

I thought it was rather tongue-in-check [like the other forum subtitles] but I can see how the subtitle for this particular forum can be misconstrued.

That phrase I believe comees from an old song.

Gloom, despair, and agony on me.

Deep dark depression, excessive misery.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

gloom, despair, and agony on me.

Well, that really shows how old I am.  But I think it's kind of funny and cute.  I've sung it many times myself.

That phrase I believe comees from an old song.

Gloom, despair, and agony on me.

Deep dark depression, excessive misery.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

gloom, despair, and agony on me.

Well, that really shows how old I am.

Did you say they sung it on Hee Haw? Whoa! I remember hating that show as a kid growing up in Oklahoma (though it amuses me now to hear the name again). I don't know how many people are going to get that reference.

I was suggesting on another thread (board news's "Please Excuse Our Mess" I believe) that it be shortened to "Doom and Gloom," if not changed entirely.

Then at least it doesn't sound narcissistic and self-centery and blamey.

Not that I'm a depressive or often post on this board. It just seemed ill-thunk enough to me to say something.

Best,

k

I guess it helps if you know the origin of the phrase.

I grew up watching Hee-Haw (I think I asked my mom for a push-up bra and cut-offs for my eighth birthday), so I got a chuckle out of it.

Personally, I like the more subtle humor of the new copy.  I prefer it to the "I suck, you suck, everbody sucks" shtick (no matter how true it might be).

Cheers,

-- Abby

OK.....I loved that show...but all I can come up with is...

"where, oh where, are you tonight

why did you leave me here all alone....

I searched the world over and thought I'd found true love,

you met another and *thpwth*

you were gone------"

sorry for the treadjack but it is 3am.......

The subtitle still bugs me.  If you aren't suffering from major depression, maybe you can enjoy the self-deprecating, blaming "humor" of it.  But those of us who are really in the abyss don't.  That subtitle is painful, at least to me. 

And, why yes, I am depressed.  That is who this forum is for, right?  I spent today wishing I were dead, and blaming myself for obsessing on that, and for ruining my life.  So if I weren't depressed, maybe this subtitle would be hilarious.  But it isn't. 

I've been suicidal off and on since I was 11.  I'm pretty deep in the pit right now, to be honest.  I've never been so suicidal I can't laugh at suicide though. 

No matter what we put up, somebody is going to bitch about it.

Since self-deprecating is what we're going for with a lot of the board titles, you probably wouldn't like anything else we'd come up with anyway.

Since self-deprecating is what we're going for with a lot of the board titles, you probably wouldn't like anything else we'd come up with anyway.
If it doesn't imply that it's my own fault that I'm depressed, I don't think it would bug me.

It doesn't.  It's like saying "woe is me"

That's just what you're reading into it.

It's kinda long but I was thinking about changing it to "To die on  your site, well the pleasure ... is mine."

Given our userbase, The Smiths reference might be lost on fewer people than Hee-haw bluegrass.

I've never been so suicidal I can't laugh at suicide though. 

Neither have I, and I think that's one of the hallmarks of this board. 

I don't even understand how the subtitle can be construed as saying depression is your own fault.  That is not in the text for me. 

Archived