CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
eee123

shaking so bad I can't hold stuff

So lately, when I am stressed I shake so bad I can't carry a cup of coffee, drink it even with two hands, I drop stuff, can't carry a plate of food etc.   When I say stressed, I am not talking panic attack. I don't feel panicked, my heart is not racing, etc.  Just a situation where I am not 100% comfortable.  This usually involves a social situation, and the worse it gets, the worse it gets.  Today I had to get someone to pour and carry my coffee and when I had it in front of me with both hands it was very difficult for me to be able lift it a couple of inches to drink out of it.  I wasn't panicked or anything, just in a social situation and it wasn't even that bad a situation.  I was at a funeral and a lot of people were talking to me but I knew that I didn't need to do anything to impress them, I mean it was a funeral and people would understand if I wasn't the most social so why was I so distressed? Is there anything I can do about this and is it normal?

While slightly unrelated, I had massive tremor/shakes from lithium and I found that Inderal (propranolol) completely killed them.

One other effect it had was lowering my anxiety level dramatically by removing the physical side completely. When I get anxious my heart rate doesn't spike, I don't sweat, and because of this it doesn't create a feedback loop that makes me focus on the anxiety - It makes it much easier to ignore it and continue functioning.

Seroquel helps and klonopin too (although I try to avoid taking the klonopin). That has been the only thing that helps me. Honestly I wish therapy helped me more. I have not tried anything like exposure therapy though. That's something you may want to look into if specific situations make you super anxious.

But one thing that has helped me from therapy is learning mindfulness and deep breathing. So I shouldn't say that therapy has not helped because it has. I'm grateful for that.

Do u have a good tdoc? I really think you could benefit from one. Then maybe the shakes would stop.

My hands are rock steady on propranolol. Like Not me said, it also knocks out the psysical effects of anxiety.

that's odd, my tremor seems to work the same way!  it doesn't feel at all like anxiety at all when it happens, either.  a few weeks ago i went to a buffet with my family and was quite enjoying myself.  but when i had to pour and carry a cup of coffee on a (what the hell is the name of that little plate that goes under a cup, argh), i shook like hell and couldn't do it.  thankfully my mother saw me trying to walk to our table and took the cup.  (saucer!  that's it!  i remembered!).  it was embarassing afterwards, i felt like the whole restaurant was looking at me!  and you're so right that the worse it gets, the worse it gets.  like i wasn't nervous UNTIL the shaking started, then THAT makes me anxious, and then i shake MORE!

i think it happens to me when i'm more stimulated in general, not just anxiously wound up.  i can be excited about a really intense conversation and notice that my cigarette is dancing.  that kind of thing.  otherwise it's just an average tremor that is either better or worse depending on sleep and food and what meds i took/didn't take that day.

if it ever starts to really drive me nuts i'll definitely go for the propanolanol.  i've taken it before when i was a majorly hyperthyroid kid (which makes your hands shake), and it worked really well.

I use propranolol for tremors for lithium, and it works well, but I think I need just a little more (I am on the first dose my pdoc put me on). I'll have to wait until I find a new pdoc, I guess.

Are you on Lamictal or Depakote? I had an obvious fine tremor from Depakote, which got MUCH worse when I added Lamictal, but nothing was suggested for treating it. It was very obvious, it almost looked Parkinsonian at times. But it was constant, not stress related.

I had resting tremor from lithium and a super-annoying but variable intentional tremor with Depakote, which got much worse under stress.  Both were worse with coffee.  The Depakote one is dose-dependent, and it doesn't interfere with my life anymore, which is good because I play the piano.  (I tried to learn to pick the banjo back in the lithium days, and that was a little too much).

If anyone notices, I shrug it off and say "oh, that's just benign."  I would absolutely try propranolol if needed and think it can be used PRN.

it will be ok and it will pass, anxiety always does, try and keep this in mind.

the discussion is about tremors, not anxiety.  there are several reasons people have tremors.

isthisit? Please refrain from posting on something you don't have experience with. This thread makes it clear its not anxiety, and anxiety sometimes doesn't pass.

When I was on lithium at one point, I had to solder together computer parts. I was shaking so bad, and the extra focus made me shake even more (especially with a professor glaring down my back) and I nearly burnt my fingers off.. so I set up blocks to help me stabilize (I can't get a very good visual)

I find when I focus on NOT shaking, I shake more. I take depakote, among other things (see sig). 

Some meds cause shaking, and there are other meds to combat it, a lot of people swear by Inderal. I can't take it because I already have low blood pressure, but nothing really has worked for me