CrazyBoards.org

Long Term Effects

Guest Namaste

Guest Namaste

Hello

I've been on prozac (fluoxetine) for jsut under 10 years at various doses, mainly 40mg. I did have a break for a ocuple of years becsuae it stopped workign but have gone back on it.

Does anyone know of the long term effects of taking it? On the rest of my body, I mean.

Thanks

Nam

Hi!

I took 40mg/day of Prozac for almost 15 years (only recently switching to Cymbalta).

You and I are the guinea pigs that will produce the data on long-term Prozac use, my friend.

So far there has been nothing really scary reported.  In fact, some theorize that the long-term stress-reduction that prozac responders may gain, just might help protect major organs and enhance health.  On the otherhand, we all may develop Parkinson's when we're in our seventies from Prozac.  Nooobody Knows.

I was concerned enough about Prozac's effect on my health once that I stopped taking it to see what would happen.  Result?  I nearly drove my car into Puget Sound.  So VE is right. 

So, my commitment to health now includes eating my broccoli, and eating my crazymeds.

BTW, I recently had some major bloodwork done, and despite the fact that I don't exercise enough, my numbers are fantastic.

-- Abby

I've been taking various SSRIs for over 5 years (a little vague on how long).  Though I hate having to watch my weight fanatically, I have loved the effects of the drugs.  I do wonder at the long term effects, but so far what I have seen is that I have become a different person, one that I and the rest of the world like lots better than the original.  Some changes were immediate, like the end of the seemingly permament anxiety attack, while others were gradual, like finally not being compulsive about food.

There isn't any real long term data, but then no particular indication that most of these meds are bad.

Being alive is a pretty good trade off, for me.

If you want real research, go to PubMed

As far as the brain, current brain studies are showing re-growth of withered areas of the brain with pscyh meds.

a.m.

Hello

I've been on prozac (fluoxetine) for jsut under 10 years at various doses, mainly 40mg. I did have a break for a ocuple of years becsuae it stopped workign but have gone back on it.

Does anyone know of the long term effects of taking it? On the rest of my body, I mean.

Thanks

Nam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did the prozac still work the same when you got back on it after 2 years absence?

Guest Namaste

Prozac has been ok the second time aroudn but I've had to increase the dose and it is in conjunction with other meds so...probably the answer to that question is no, not as well as before. it stopped working before and I had to switch. I'm now on prozac, mirtazepine, carbamazepine and zyprexa so that cocktail is working presently. Most of hte time!

Hello

Thanks

Nam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did the prozac still work the same when you got back on it after 2 years absence?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Namaste,

Did you have trouble coming off the SSRI?

I've been on Zoloft for almost 6 years now.  And every time I try to discontinue I become VERY depressed about 3 months later.  Sometimes I feel like our brains adapt to these medications, and in a way can't function without them anymore...even after years of therapy.

I worry about this too.  But I'm so afraid to get off them.  There are no long term studies, and everytime I go to a new pdoc I quiz them on the longterm effects, and every doc says "we don't know yet."

It seems to me that ANY medication used long term has side effects....and abby's right we are the guinea pigs for future generations.

It's scary, but like others have said, living sanely in the present moment seems to outweigh what could, but may never, happen later. 

Archived