CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
saoirse

Hallucinating while hypomanic?

Technically, you can't have hallucinations/psychosis with hypomania-- it gets bumped up to mania at that point.  With that said, extreme sleep deprivation alone can cause hallucinations (and worsen mania).  You might have just tipped over into mania, but in my opinion it's more academic if you know you're prone to hallucinating when your mood is dysregulated.  You've had these symptoms before, and they're just a little different now.  That's sort of how bipolar disorder works, at least for me.  It's not always the same, and symptoms can progress slowly or rapidly, or not at all. 

What I'm wondering is how you differentiate mania and hypomania for you, because they can be very closely related temporally and in terms of symptoms for many people.  What made this feel like hypomania vs. full mania?

Edited by dianthus

Dianthus is right, technically you can't have psychosis while hypomanic, or else it's classified as full mania. Perhaps it started as hypomania and suddenly progressed to full mania. As Dianthus said, sleep deprivation can cause psychosis. 

But in my opinion, it's basically the same argument as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. 

Is your mood still high right now? Hopefully the Haldol helped with that too. I think you should call your pdoc ASAP. I know you're prone to psychotic manias (at least I remember you mentioning them, I think), so this is definitely something your pdoc should know. Clearly your meds aren't totally keeping your mood in check. 

I'm so sorry to hear it was really scary for you. It sounds like it was terrifying. I hope you feel better soon. :)

I am so sorry.  I have been zapped out of the blue a few times, under stress, but when I was not otherwise having a mood.  One, which was largely tactile, lasted a day or go, and was macabre.  In general, though, mine were not as intense and cleared up with outpatient Zyprexa.  I haven't had any in a while.

I hope that you feel calm and safe soon.

Sleep deprivation for me will cause hallucinations, every time it happens.

I would ask your pdoc when you are released for a PRN of Haldol or a similar antipsychotic to take for future cases of acute psychosis. I'm sorry, I'm sure it must have been frightening. I have Bipolar 1 as well but I've never experienced psychosis. 

If you weren't sleeping much, you were probably more up than you realized. That lack of introspection bites almost always. So, you now know that little sleep is a sign that you need to heed immediately.

Life will return to normal. Hang in there.

I would ask your pdoc when you are released for a PRN of Haldol or a similar antipsychotic to take for future cases of acute psychosis. I'm sorry, I'm sure it must have been frightening. I have Bipolar 1 as well but I've never experienced psychosis. 

The OP is already on two AAPs. Adding a third antipsychotic is probably not the way to go. Asking for a PRN is appropriate but what the PRN is, should be left up to the pdoc.