Sleep on Clozaril vs Sleep on Seroquel?

I'm on Seroquel and I sleep a lot but if I have something to wake up for, I can usually wake up and get there.

Also, at this point I'm not even that tired when I wake up on Seroquel.

I'm thinking of taking Clozaril and I'm afraid its going to be worse for sleep than Seroquel. Or is it the same?

Is there any way to wake up for an appointment on Clozaril? Or for work/a job?

Also, does everyone get 12 hours of sleep or are there those who sleep less on the drug?

Finally, by taking it early or compensating in some other way, is there anyway to minimize the sleep?

I can't comment on Seroquel because I've only taken one dose of it.

I am on Clozaril however so I will answer your questions in regards to it:.

If I have to get up early for whatever reason, I can get up, but I make sure to set up the alarm and have the alarm at the other end of my room so I can make sure to get out of bed in order to shut it off.  I am able to get up 6am the 2 days I attend day program.

If I don't have to get up early the next day, I take my Clozaril at bedtime, which is 10pm for me.  I get to sleep by 11pm and I usually sleep until about 8 - 9am.

Sometimes I may feel sleepy in the morning, but in general, I am alert during the day on Clozaril.

I hope this information helps and I wish you the best

~ Andy

Edited by netsavy006

When I was on Seroquel way back in the beginning, my tolerance built up very fast and eventually didn't help sleep.

When I was on Clozaril, it really fucked up my sleep (interrupted sleep) and when I had to stop taking it, the uninterrupted sleep side effect never went away.  That was in 2006.  So personally clozaril really fucked up my sleep patterns and quality of sleep.  And that side effect never went away.

i wouldn't say clozaril made me sleep more/less, but it did seem to increase my "negative" symptoms and when i went off it i found it left me far worse for the wear.  you titrate up on it pretty slowly, but most i've talked to found it sedating.  i didn't find it especially sedating personally, and i spose in a sense it was better than seroquel as far as treating symptoms, but mostly because seroquel did fuck all for me.

is there a reason you're considering clozaril apart from wanting to switch off seroquel due to sleep issues?  i ask because there are a lot of other atypical antipsychotics and typical ones that are less associated with someof the common side effects of clozaril. it's super effective in certain ways, provided you stay on it, but it's a pain in the ass in others, so unless you're trying to cope with some specific things that are known to be most responsive to clozaril, you might want to investigate other options than just looking at those two.

I have somatic hallucinations, voices and delusions of control.

So, I need something that can tackle hallucinations. I think I might as well try Clozaril.

I hope if and when I get off it I don't wind up with more negative symptoms and sleep problems.

Maybe seroquel is just plain weak. Risperidone and olanzapine should be much stronger.

But yeah from what ive heard of clozaril it is somewhat worse for sleep.

When I was on Seroquel way back in the beginning, my tolerance built up very fast and eventually didn't help sleep.

When I was on Clozaril, it really fucked up my sleep (interrupted sleep) and when I had to stop taking it, the uninterrupted sleep side effect never went away.  That was in 2006.  So personally clozaril really fucked up my sleep patterns and quality of sleep.  And that side effect never went away.

According to wikipedia segmented sleep is normal.

Edited by konings

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya

I have been on clozaril for about 8 years, when I first started it, I couldn't stay awake. I took it at night and it completely knocked me out. It really made me tired and feeling week, but the good news is, you get used to it and the more times you take your dose, the more tolerant you become. I am on a fairly high dose, but it doesn't affect my sleep anymore.

But everybody is different and medication affects different people different ways. :)

Good luck with what you decide to do:)

xx