CrazyBoards.org

Is There a "Best" type of Mood Stabilizer?

One that doesn't make you gain weight, helps with panic and anxiety, helps with sleep, doesn't give you a rash and doesn't make you hyper??? Is that too much to ask??? You can see in my signature what I've tried..... :wall:

Or what about an antidepressant that works on dopamine instead of serotonin? What are those like?

So what about dopamine agonist's? Ever tried those?

I couldn't deal with flat affect either, I'm a pretty passionate person

The only dopamine agonist currently prescribed (for MI) that I can think of is abilify.

It seems like you are searching for a miricle cure though :)

If you have had paradoxical reactions to so many meds, Rx and OTC, you and your doc might want to consider deficiencies in the cytochromes that metabolize these meds. This is rather new and probably expensive, though. And if it is an issue with these enzymes, Lithium may well be one to consider as it is not metabolized by the liver. In terms of side effects, it is tough on the kidneys, requires blood monitoring for pegging your dosage and avoiding toxicity, some weight gain, a metallic taste in the mouth, (mostly) transient tremors, cystic acne and possible damage to the thyroid are the most commonly cited. You may incur all of these, or paltry few. Responses to mood stabilizing agents are highly variable. This is why you'll see so many references to the 'med go-round'.

Abilify is actually a partial agonist. The way it works is by occupying the overstimulated receptors that endogenous dopamine would occupy. This is why it reduces psychosis and doesn't cause it. 

Another dopamine agonist would be Wellbutrin, I believe. 

Abilify is actually a partial agonist. The way it works is by occupying the overstimulated receptors that endogenous dopamine would occupy. This is why it reduces psychosis and doesn't cause it. 

Another dopamine agonist would be Wellbutrin, I believe. 

Its a reuptake inhibitor. NDRI. Not an agonist.

have you tried Lithium yet?

i love it, love it, love it

for some people it is just fantastic

great drug. We had to augment mine as we maxed it out and couldn't add more without it going out of range.  Very good mood stabilizer.  Keep all of your lab appointments and don't get dehydrated and you should be o.k.

seriously consider it though