CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
San

"Schizophrenia" cured in mice

http://www.sci-news.com/genetics/article01108-schizophrenia-neuregulin.html

I posted this in Whatever and not in Academics because I think the article is horseshit.

mice were hyperactive, couldn’t remember what they had just learned and couldn’t ignore distracting background or white noise.

The description of "schizophrenia" looks like it has nothing to do with the current symptoms of schizophrenia and it's put down as a "behvaviour deficit".

Thoughts?

I walked past a poster the other day about a research project involving a model of mental retardation in drosophila (fruit flies).  I was really confused as to how there could BE a fruit fly model of that. 

Mmm, yes. They have manic mice, too. Seriously... or so they claim. Of course, the manic mice don't get depressed, just hyper all the time. I would call them hyperactive mice but they went with manic. Sorta like these schiz mice.... Think it and it will be so. Research credo.

those sound more like adhd or possibly (hypo)mania symptoms.  there are "cognitive" symptoms in schizophrenia, but i daresay that if those are the only "behavior deficits" that are adjusted then i'm underwhelmed, to say the least.  i note that the person keeps saying "schizophrenia-like"...which...what the fuck does that mean anyway?

as far as diagnosing in mice...yeah, that sounds like bullshit and a half...however, i could conceive of behaviors that if they presented and then were mitigated...that would be more useful.  like if they managed to rectify identifiers of negative symptoms...or disorganization...or self isolation from other mice or something...given that the negative symptoms are the hardest to treat, that would certainly be a more compelling "cure".

I walked past a poster the other day about a research project involving a model of mental retardation in drosophila (fruit flies).  I was really confused as to how there could BE a fruit fly model of that. 

LOL ... I just laughed so hard after reading this :D

Exactly ... how could there even BE a fruit fly model of mental retardation.

It seems like they have conclusive proof that they think that they need more grant money.

If a mouse was hearing voices...what do you suppose the voices would say?