CrazyBoards.org

People forget, including myself, that weed is a mild hallucinogenic. On top of that you have bipolar, me too, and that's a time bomb waiting to happen.

I've also heard that people who smoked TONS in their early years, then stop, can have the paranoia later on.

please, weed is NOT a good thing for the bipolar brain

it is a very bad idea and can exacerbate your mental illness symptoms

your brain is challenged enough without adding this drug

i have experienced,  years ago, very scary derealization from smoking dope

and it lasted for days afterwards 

bipolar disorder is bad enough on it's own, don't make it worse

just google this :  derealization  bipolar disorder marijuana

Marijuana, LSD, and PCP

Marijuana and hashish, two substances derived from the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa), are also considered natural hallucinogens, although their potency (power) is very low when compared to others. Marijuana (also called grass, pot, tea, weed, or reefer), a green herb from the flower of the hemp plant, is considered a mild hallucinogen. Hashish is marijuana in a more potent, concentrated form. Both drugs are usually smoked. Their effects include a feeling of relaxation, faster heart rate, the sensation that time is passing more slowly, and a greater sense of hearing, taste, touch, and smell.

Read more: http://www.discoveriesinmedicine.com/Enz-Ho/Hallucinogens.html#ixzz2UhgFyv1h

Marijuana, LSD, and PCP

Marijuana and hashish, two substances derived from the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa), are also considered natural hallucinogens, although their potency (power) is very low when compared to others. Marijuana (also called grass, pot, tea, weed, or reefer), a green herb from the flower of the hemp plant, is considered a mild hallucinogen. Hashish is marijuana in a more potent, concentrated form. Both drugs are usually smoked. Their effects include a feeling of relaxation, faster heart rate, the sensation that time is passing more slowly, and a greater sense of hearing, taste, touch, and smell.

Read more: http://www.discoveriesinmedicine.com/Enz-Ho/Hallucinogens.html#ixzz2UhgFyv1h

Its also well know among knowledgeable smokers that Indica weed gives a more relaxing body high while Sativa has more THC and gives a more energetic high

It sounds like weed and your bipolar brain have a symbiosis that doesn't play out nicely. I had the same thing. Enjoyed smoking for a while when young. Then, coincidentally as bp symptoms began to emerge, getting high turned into a psychotic/dissociative experience beyond what others smoking at the time felt and went on much longer than made sense. I tried getting high once in my 30s to see if I could have the good type of trip again. It was a horrible experience, very nightmarish. I'll never touch the stuff again. I believe that hallucinogens can aggravate the psychotic symptoms of bipolar.

i've had to learn pretty much every lesson the hard way, so i can appreciate where you're coming from on that.  in this case, you should prolly mention to your doctor, but if the psychotic symptoms went away after it was completely out of your system, hopefully you can consider yourself having dodged a bullet.

It sounds like a drug induced psychosis, unless you want it to be permenant skitzophrenia you should stop.

If you are still having symptoms of psychosis you should see a psychiatrist and consider a course of anti psychotics, also fish oil will help a bit.

You should also stay away from other hallucinagens and stimulants(cocaine, amphetamines) but caffeine is okay I was told, I also had a drug induced psychosis but it lasted 2 months, I did a short course of risperidone which I am tapering off and I am fine now. I am gonna miss cocaine and speed.

Edited by ScrambleHead

definitely tell your doctor, just to be on the safe side. I nevercared mmuch for weed growing up but I remember afew times socially smoking and not reacting the way other people smoking the same thing did, but it never persisted when I was sober so I went years not thinking of it. This past year though I have had to pretty much stop though because I started to hear voices and get very scary thoughts when I smoked and eventually it started to bleed out into the rest of the day when I wasn't smoking. Your chemistry, like mine, probably doesn't settle well with weed so please be cautious and let your doctor know if you can. The brain is so strange and everyone' chemistry is unique, smoking a bowl could be a good way to relax for one person but might tip another person with a different chemistry over the edge. For me I think that smoking weed (which I tended to do as a way of stress relief/for sleep) pushed some dormant symptoms back to the surface. The rest that i might get when I smoke isn't worth it and in my experience those "weird" responses to pot didn't stop, they mounted slowly and I shrugged it off until voila I'm sober and spending my afternoons hiding under the desk now. I don't think its the weeds "fault" but it can certainly speed up or unveal an illness that was maybe covered before. I would really suggest no more brownies and telling someone what happened...