CrazyBoards.org

Does the weather affect your mood?

We have had cloudy skies here in North Texas for about a week now. I am doing very well on my new meds, but thr cloudy skies make me feel kinda flat but not exactly depressed. Here's the weird part : When the big thunder storms hit, I feel so good that I go out on the front porch to watch. Something about the booming thunder and lightning and pounding rain that feels like a sigh of relief. We have had quite a few severe storms here since April. However, sunshine makes me feel truly alive and happy. Am I weird? Is there anyone out there that relates to this?

I relate totally.

A lot of people with bipolar or depression find that the weather can affect mood.

Have you tried a light box? They help alleviate depressive symptoms for some people.

There are threads on this topic. Search. You may find some insights and certainly will fell less alone.

I can't take a lot of sun. I love fall and winter because the long dark days keep me from getting hypomanic and irritable and unstable. Every year when Daylight Savings Time hits it's the beginning of my worst time. The last few years I've noticed that I reach a crisis point in early July. This year my pdoc and I are hoping to avoid that by having more appointments so we can tweak my meds BEFORE something bad happens and not after.

Season affects my mood more than the weather, though obviously season dictates weather so, they are intertwined. 

In the fall, I tend to become hypomanic, depending on the year (I have a three year cycle). In the summer, I become psychotic and just generally kind of crazier. 

Pacific NW.  We joke that there are only two seasons: rain and no rain.  I am totally affected by the weather.  Especially when it is dark cloudy skies and a downpour.

I love summer and consistently blue skies.

So I do get some SAD

the more humid it is the crankyer I get. So the past few weeks in Northern New Jeresey have not been fun. I love the summer but hate the humidity(explain that one I lived in the same place for 23 years! When I get cranky I get nasty, and yell at pepple.

Yes, I believe the weather affects moods. I am so happy usually in summer and if we have a rainy spell I often sleep all day for days. I really love the beauty of fall here in New England but strangely enough I end up in the hospital many an October, so I don't know about that. I can't stand winter and really want to live in Florida some day. I lived in Washington state for a while and the rain didn't thrill me, but the temps were better than here in RI for winter and spring. Also full moons tend to hype me....eh, I don't know what that's about.

Some people tend to have episodes tied to weather patters.  It seems not a far stretch at all to think that a few individuals may be effected by weather patterns -- like, in theory, having a weather pattern hang around long enough to bring on a longer mood episode.

My theory is that I go hypo in the spring or summer.  But I could be wrong?  I was only diagnosed back in the early spring of 2012, so I mostly have memories to refer to rather than direct experiences.

We're just starting winter here, and my mood is vastly improved on what it is during the warm, light months.  Spring is a major mixed state trigger for me, and I never feel completely "right" in summer.

I can deal with cold and snow as long as there is sun. This past winter was unrelentingly overcast, and I fell into a depression. When I lived in Connecticut, I couldn't stand it (read: overcast and rainy 90+ percent of the time). I think the Pacific Northwest is a cool region of the country, but could never live there because of all the rain.