CrazyBoards.org

Stribild HUGE pill not going down

My boss is sitting here coughing and choking and spitting.  He started Stiblid in January and the pill went down fine.  Now last week it started getting stuck in his throat.  He has tried everything.  He thinks his throat is swollen from being sick in April.  

Does anyone have any tricks for taking a very large pill?  It is extended release and cannot be cut.

Thank you!!!!

I just googled the med, and I really think that if your boss is having trouble taking the pill, he should be looked at by a doctor (hematologist? whomever handles his illness) to ensure that there isn't another infection in the throat. He could also switch to taking the 4 smaller pills that Stribild is a composite of--it might be more expensive, but he could take them one at a time. 

When I need to get a pill into my cat, I coat it with butter. :)

The other thing to do is for him to swallow it and drop his head FORWARD and not back.  Dropping your head forward opens the throat much better and is used with elderly people when they have trouble swallowing.

However, I think taking 4 smaller pills sounds like the best solution, and he should definitely get his throat checked out.

olga

When I need to get a pill into my cat, I coat it with butter. :)

That's what I told him to do.  It helped a bit but it took a 1/2 hour or more for the pill to go down.  It was awful, awful to watch.   I nagged him to call his mdoc.  Hopefully he will call tomorrow.  found out from my cuz who works in a clinic that there is a condition they call 'pill esophagitis'.  The four pills would be lovely but I don't think they exist.  I'll ask my pharmacist.

Thank you Auntie Olga.

Has he tried swallowing it with a spoonful of either yoghurt or ice cream?

If he continues to have difficulties after getting his throat checked, perhaps a compounding pharmacy would could help with altering the coating...

Yes and

that is egg-zackalee what I was thinking! There happens to be one down my block. I'll go mañana.

Edited by water