CrazyBoards.org

Newly Diagnosed

I just got my sleep study results and I have a mild sleep apnea or hypopnea. So Im going back tonight to get fitted with my CPAP,,,,,,

sexy. WOOHOO. (sarcasm).

She also noted that in addition to waking from respiratory disturbances I was also woken by unknown disturbances. Hmmmmm.

I do have some skeletal "stuff" going on which may possibly be contributing. IDK

Anyone use a CPAP?

It is one of the few medical therapies that has actually worked for me as advertised. That's no small praise. I am not taking the midday naps that I was before I started using the CPAP machine. 

It helps that I am able to use the "nasal block" instead of a full mask.

I believe those disturbances are called "EEG arousals". It means the EEG indicated you almost woke up but it did not correlate with a breathing event. I have lots of those per hour plus lots (40-60 and hour) of minor breathing events. Even if your breathing events are not major, in that your oxygen saturation did not drop much, ie it stayed in the 90%'s, if you have a lot you will never get to deep sleep. Stage 3. Same with EEG arousals. I have both in spades so I get very little deep sleep (1% of total sleep) and likely have not for decades. I can only sleep if I take a lot of sleep medication.  Now I know why.

I failed the PAP machine, the mask I tolerate can't be used in my kind of apnea. I 'm looking into dental appliances to treat things.

That's helpful info!

I just got back from my first night of full mask CPAP and even though I woke up frequently, I realized how much I couldn't breathe!!!

Here's the thing though, I now realize how much I cant breathe while awake. Its like I cant fully catch my breath.

Does anyone know if there are underlying physical conditions that would contribute to hypopnea/apnea?

If you are having difficulty with daytime breathing you need to bring this to the attention of your doctor. Now. There could be any number of possible causes.

That's helpful info!

I just got back from my first night of full mask CPAP and even though I woke up frequently, I realized how much I couldn't breathe!!!

Here's the thing though, I now realize how much I cant breathe while awake. Its like I cant fully catch my breath.

Does anyone know if there are underlying physical conditions that would contribute to hypopnea/apnea?