CrazyBoards.org

anxiety medication

Hi,

I am diagnosed with, anxiety,ptsd,depression and adhd, I am an alcoholic and sober almost 4 years, the problem I am having is that when I went into treatment 4 years ago, doctor will no longer prescribe benzodiazapams for my anxiety, I have tried every ssri under the sun along with serequil and other anti depressants and clonadine, my anxiety has reached a new time high the past 6 months, the littlest thing upsets me to the point of crying, I can't socialize at all, not even AA meetings, I am isolating so much and feel like I'm going to lose my mind and of fear of imbarrassing myself and I'm only getting worse. Has anyone else ever had this problem where they were refused medication that worked for them, I have never abused my medication and I used to take less clonapin than prescribed, it just seems so wrong to me.

Hi noodle; I am sort of in the same place you are. I can really sympathize.   I've been prescribed clonazepam for ten years.  In the middle of that time, I became addicted to opiates and was treated for that addiction.  I never abused my clonazepam prescription even when I was in active addiction.   

I did not hide (from the addiction psychiatrist) the fact that I was prescribed clonazepam  (from my regular psychiatrist).  Of course, just like in your case, the addiction treatment people did NOT like the fact that I was on another "abusable" medication. 

I've now been sober (off pills) for six years and my clinic just now decided I've been on the benzos too long and at too high a dose; so they are tapering me off completely.   Different subject.

I would suggest that you try to get another opinion from a prescriber (psychiatrist)  who may not have the same notions about recovering addicts NEVER having a prescription for any other scheduled/controlled substance.   

I know it is hard to find a psychiatrist, but I also know that there are some p-docs who understand that just because you drug of choice was say, alcohol or pills, that does not mean you will abuse benzodiazepines or other meds.    Just because you've been treated for alcohol addiction should not mean you cannot be treated adequately for your other diagnosis/ses; in this case, anxiety.

You should be very up front with the doctor; there could even be a "contract" where you agree to always use the same pharmacy, not ask for early refills, etc.    I know this is very hard, and if you can't find anyone who will work with you on this, you may have to rely on more "natural" methods to control anxiety.

Do you have a therapist for your regular (non-addiction) problems?

i really relate to this and I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time. I've been seeing psychiatrists for about eight years now and I've also worked my way through the benzos and the ssri's and off-labels and antipsychotics. I moved to Ohio and now have a new pdoc who is a lot more conservative with her meds than my old ones--she took me off of my meds because she didn't agree with off label uses and won't give me anything for my anxiety because what I need would be "dangerous". i don't even know if she knows that I have taken those "dangerous" meds already or if she is just biased in that regard, which it seems a lot of pdocs certainly are, especially if they work in an area with a prevalent drug problem. sometimes what they think and what we think or know from experience is not congruent. she also has me on doses so small that I don't get any help from them because she doesn't think I weigh enough. Some people seem to run their business with extreme caution, they don't want to endanger you but they may also not grasp how dangerous the patient may feel themselves sometimes. I feel more in danger because my anxiety and agitation causes me to become destructive and suicidal; I understand wanting to be safe and not put you patient in harm but when the alternative is just hoping that the person stays afloat, it seems cruel. I'm supposed to go to IOP programs but I'm not because they decided that the social phobia might make me decompensate so now I am both not on any helpful medication and also not in any structured program that might teach me coping kills either. It feels like they are sabotaging me or that maybe they don't understand how painful it is. Maybe they don't! I'm going to go back to my pdoc and discuss it; maybe if you ask and talk frankly about your concerns and how it is impacting your life you can reach a compromise. sometimes a compromise is all you can do. my tdoc is going to call my pdoc and try to convince them that I need a short term xanax or something, so if you have someone else that you see maybe they can communicate too and reach  further compromise. Maybe also make a list of all of the medications you have taken so far and how helpful they were. good luck and I hope you do at least express this to your pdoc so they can find another solution, even if its not what you want but as long as it helps! I'm going to make another appointment with mine to talk it over and if she still is against it (she wants to only use prozac forr my panic and phobia), then I'll probably switch to someone new. I think that even though they are professionals that they should be able to compromise with you and if they can't put their rigidity aside to meet you in the middle then maybe its not the right fit. They don't have to go home with you and see what its really like to be you or to live with you, they only know you while you are in their office. If your anxiety is really a detriment and your pdoc is not willing to negotiate, then I don't think its a bad idea to look elsewhere. Find someone that listens to you and that you are compatible with. I don't know, you should be very open and honest with your doctor and little frictions like this make it harder to feel open and communicable together. Compromises the quality of your relationship together. I really hope you good luck!

Edited by kitkatt91

Noodle, I didn't see anything in your post that you were abusing the benzos, right? It sounds like your pdoc is afraid that the addictive personality aspect of the alcoholism would make you more prone to abusing the benzos so won't prescribe them...I only say that because that's what happened to my one sister.

I would def find another doctor who will prescribe benzos. Xanax XR is non-addictive supposedly, so if anyone has a problem prescribing regular Xanax that's an option. My Pdoc won't give me SSRI's because I had allergic reactions to the ones my Primary gave me, so she sticks with the Xanax. I don't call early for scripts or take more than what I should--and I do have an addictive personality in many respects--but as long as I'm not abusing the Xanax she keeps me on it.

You might have better luck with a bigger Pdoc group. We have smaller and individual pdocs here and they seem to be more tight about not giving benzos, and just pushing bigger doses of ssri's...But the big corporate Pdoc group is fine with whatever the patient needs they give. I guess sometimes bigger is better.....

Thank you all very much for your support, I have been to 3 different p-docs the past year and they all will not prescribe anything other than ssri's mood stablers and clonedine, I am afraid to go to to many different p-doc's because I don't want to be accused of Dr. shopping, I want to go to a new p-doc and lie and say I haven't been on any phyc med for aver a year but I am to afraid of being caught lieing and I am the worst lier in the world lol, I do go to one on one therepy and try to use natural methods but I have not been very successful with them, I will never stop trying, but it gets very tiring to be constantly batteling my brain, I did not hear about the xanax xr, I will tell my p-doc about them,again that you all for the support....

Noodle ~  I am sorry you are having to cope with all this and I understand your desperation, same boat you are in.  I have been begging recently myself and it's an awful feeling.  If you change doctors would your insurance be the same, did they put any restrictions on what meds they will allow with your insurance company? 

De

Hi De,

I am disabled due to my phyc problem and I am on state insurance, that requires me to get prior approval from my primary care dr. I am thinking of changing my primary care Dr. but I am not sure if my medical record will be realeased to new dr. and the same red flag or what ever gets put in my record, I regret terribly ever being honest about my alcoholism to my Drs. I am closed to 50yrs old and the stigma is so obvious,they turn from compassionate medical professionals and turn very suspect,demeaning and rude the second they pull up my chart and see alcoholic, its not paranoia or my imagination,my family and friends have seen it first hand and are blown away by it, a quick example, I scracted my corneir (sp) in my eye and went to the emergencie room to have it looked at and the nurse was kind and very helpful when asking my questions,the second she pulled up my chart on the computer she turned around said I'm letting you know right now, you won't be getting pain meds here!! like she was scolding a child, the only thing missing was her finger waving in my face, I never asked for pain meds I was hoping for some eye drops to relieve the pain in my eye, my boyfriend was with me and was floored by it, I ended up walking out before I saw the Dr and went to an eye and ear Dr. the next day. its disgraceful in my opinion.....

• 2 weeks later...

Noodle – Have you tried or looked into buspirone (Buspar) for your anxiety? It's not an SSRI, but it's action is very specific to the 5HT1A receptor (with a llttle touch on the dopamine D2), so it doesn't work for everyone. But if that's what's causing the problem it works very well. Also, the side effects are mild and since it's not a benzo, docs shouldn't have any questions about addiction. I didn't see it in your post and your signature doesn't say if you're currrently on any other meds, but buspirone is often used as an add-on for anxiety.

Luckily, it's really helped dampen my anxiety, which was pretty much constant. Unfortunately, there's no extended release and it's short acting so you need to take it 3xs/day. I don't do well with SSRIs, but have had no problem with this.