CrazyBoards.org

It would be easier knowing how to actually respond to depression to treat it

So, I've developed sort of "low-mood", indifference, lack of motivation, the world sucks kind of view recently.

I want to work myself out of this, be the person (or as close as can be) before the events happened that made me spiral down. I'm reading on the web that research shows most people come out of depression within 8 months to a few years, though some never do. I want to give myself the best shot I can, but how should I tackle it?

I've come across some ancedotal piece that said the way to get over it is to just let it be. Don't fight it, don't ignore it, but just feel how you will feel. I can see how this might work as I have personal experience with this kind of mentality. Case in point, one of the reasons why I am where I am today is because I developed Tinnitus when I went shooting. I was so obessive with that ringing, that screech in my head, that I thought I would never be the same and there would be no possible way that I wouldn't hear it everyday. Well come a few months down the line and I still hear my Tinnitus but it affects me slim-to none and it quickly fades into the background where before it was loud and clear.

Most of the time my depression triggers based on how I view things now and how I can 'place myself in the past' and how I would have felt before this happened. I read that in order for depression to lift, you need to stop the comparisons and stop the introspection. I can see how this can be helpful, because just like the way I was with my hearing and tinnitus (constantly looking for it), I am hyper-aware of how I feel right now and that can't be helping.

On the flip-side I also read how people try and ignore it and it bites them in the ass later in life, but the difference is is I'm not trying to actively "ignore" or "supress" it, I'm just taking away my emotional reaction to it to the best of my ability. I firmly believe, much like Pavlo's dogs, you can rewire the 'triggers' for better or for worse over time.

Of course I'm not sure if this is the best route, it's just that this makes sense to me. Maybe I should use some help with anti-depressants? Right now I'm taking the holistic approach with Inositol, Sam-e, St John's Wort, and Fish oil. I've noticed a reduction in my panic attacks and general mood I would say, but I'm not sure if it's because of me being able to coop better with time or not.

Another thing that I am completely open to is "nature's drugs". I've heard DMT and Ayahuasca can be potentially life changing in a positive way where it has helped people get over issues. I'll post some of the studies and personal stories later, if anyone is interested. Of course, these are illegal here in the USA, so if that matters to you then I guess there's that to think about.

Anyways, I wanted to get my thoughts out there and see what people have to say. And please, no one-liners about how people can't overcome on their own "take anti-depressants", and/or in general being negative. I'm open to all suggestions, but nothing snide.

I'm just curious as to why you are willing to try SAM-e and St. Johns Wort especially when St. Johns Wort acts very similarly to an antidepressant. I gave my mother St. Johns Wort and SAM-e because of lack of health insurance and it being cheaper than medication. She eventually went on Lexapro but because of my brother calling them "crazy pills" quickly stopped and became ashamed. Her depression was reactive in nature, it was triggered by the passing of my father. But I would say trying pharmaceutical grade antidepressants  tend to be more effective, but if you are anti-medicine I also much respect your decisions/choices and views. I just think if you eventually needed a more effective treatment beyond supplements it would be wise to discuss it with your doctor. But I don't know how severely you are depressed. If you aren't clinically depressed, or don't feel that you are severe many popular supplements would definitely be of some consideration such as 5-HTP and ginseng. 

I don't view taking any kind of medication as a sign of weakness. I'm one of the 'lucky' one's where my depression doesn't cripple me; I just have anxiety and feel indifferent most of the time, with ups and downs. I generally want to keep the anti-depressant approach for last, as I've heard it has helped people, but also caused problems with side-effects for some. Paxilprogress is one of those sites I've seen, for example. Though, I'm not one of those hippies, touting how evil Big Pharma is. Fact is if it helps, do it. I know that anti-depressants have saved people and changed their world for the better. No room for ideologically bullshit when it comes to being either happy or miserable. 

Don't go down the route of illegal drugs. You have many less damaging options you can explore. I would recommend you seeing a pdoc. There are also medications primarily for anxiety which help lift mood such as Cipralex. There are hardly any side-effects. I knew someone who only needed it for a year. It's possible her brain just needed "reminding" of the proper chemical balance.

Personally, I would not just accept the symptoms and live with depression. If you are able to function (eat and sleep) normally and you don't feel as though you are a danger to yourself then it's possible. I feel like the message you are trying to get across is that overthinking things that have happened or cannot be changed is detrimental. I fully agree. The best treatment for overthinkers is to steer your thoughts in a positive direction and keep busy. Best of luck.

Hey there.

If you have mild depression then it may be possible to treat it with lifestyle changes. However, if it is affecting your life then I'd use medication over supplements or illegal drugs. St johns wort has a weak SSRI effect, but you never know the exact strength and it isn't regulated like an SSRI would be. DMT has the risk of causing paranoia or a 'bad trip' which could potentially be very damaging to your mental health.

Have you had a visit with your doctor lately? Would you consider discussing your anxiety with them?

Your ideas of acceptance with the tinnitus sound a lot like some of the new therapies coming out. I think you would probably like Acceptance and Commitment Therapy - there's a book called the happiness trap that explains it really well.

Edited by bluelikejazz