CrazyBoards.org

Maintaining Stability

I'm far from stable but I will be again, I mean I have to get there, right? 

Anyway, that's not my question. 

What do others with BP do to maintain their stability and have you found that these things help to prolong the time between episodes?

Thanks everyone! 

I know staying on an antipsychotic and mood stabilizing medication can prolong the time duration between episodes, and staying on a consisten medication routine and avoiding drugs and drinking sparingly if you must. Also discussing when you experience an episode such as determining when you are going into mania, or depression and quickly getting treated or altering or increasing certain medications to maintaing equilibrium. 

Well I have found stability for now (thank you God!), what has done it for me is adherance to medication, takeing care of myself (this comes in a lot of varietys but a few are good sleep habits, having fun (coloring, movies, walks, sledding in the winter being silly), enjoying the simple things, learning how to say no, eating better and staying in conversation with my NP as needed and my Tdoc weekely (and on call if I need to, its been months since I needed to).  I also have acepted that satisticly speaking I am highley likeley to get very depresed again, and may end up IP again. Aknowlagin those realitys helps to keep me grounded and working hard to be mindfull of now. Not that I dont beat myself up over the past, or look to the future. But I rejoice that right now i'm baseline for me.

Some of the things I do:

• watch my sleep pattern and protect my sleep at all costs
  • take my meds
  • reduce stress where I can
  • exercise (I do a little walking)
  • eat right
  • try to keep my days as boring and routine as possible
  • see my pdoc/tdoc weekly
  • practice relaxation
  • no drinking
  • no drugs except those given to me by my doctor
  • back off on extra activities when things get to be too much (either time-wise or emotionally)
  • talk with my friends/family for support

Those are the important ones for me. I'm sure there are more but that's my list off the top of my head.

Everything written above is critical and damn near comprehensive.  The only thing I would add is cutting situations and people out of your life who are always going to be a drain, a a black hole of need and attention.  The ones who would go without food and water before they went without drama.  

Meds. Sleep. Exercise. Pdoc. Tdoc. No alcohol. Doing something that gives me a sense of accomplishment, which currently is school. These help with mood swings but don't eliminate them entirely.

I'd be less depressed these days if I had friends where I live, so I'm currently trying to increase social support. 

Thanks everyone! I use most of these myself. Minus the stress reduction, which I can't really do much about right now. 

Titania ~ I forgot about that! Thank you!!!! 

Meds, meds, meds! I just learned that the hard way. I know following the advice of everyone else here would help, but my crazy work hours prevent me from doing most of it. I can barely cook for myself, much less go to the gym. I do drink too much alcohol though, and that has set me off before, so avoiding it is probably really good advice.

*Having someone to talk to, friends or tdoc

*Journaling/making art/having a creative outlet

*Routine

*Exercise 

*Maintaining a healthy diet

*Taking meds as prescribed and being honest to pdoc about your medication habits

*Managing other physical ailments that can mimic MI

*Meditation

*Cry

*Dance/Sing/Interact to music

*Having a safety plan for emergencies

*Coming to terms with my illness and the consequences of my actions if I decided to fuck around. This was important to me for a long time when I just thought my SZA was intangible and I thought I would be symptomatic no matter what because I was more likely to be reckless and not take care of myself

Here's my list:

• Keep aware of my sleep patterns; take sleep aids if I must.
  • Try to maintain healthier eating patterns (and healthier food in general)
  • Get outside, daylight if I can help it, but outside is good
  • Go for walks
  • Manage my anxiety
  • Manage my stress
  • Make art
  • Keep toxic stressful people out of my life
  • If I can get time to myself when I need it, I take it
  • I do try to keep myself from being a hermit though
  • Keep involved in my religious studies
  • Play with my cats
  • Keep aware of my moods/red flags/etc. -- I don't use a mood tracker but I talk with people, journal, stuff like that
  • TAKE MY MEDS.  On time.
  • Keep in contact with my doctors
  • Get help from my mother or my sister to keep on top of things in my home, since it can be overwhelming for me
  • Have specific plans in place for when the crazy does hit
  • If I need to take PRNs, I take them; if I'm anxiously debating if I truly need to take my PRN, I take that as a sign that YES I need my PRN
Edited by Mirazh

I don't have a magic solution either, but I think these things help

• Realise that you must take care of yourself first, your'e of no good  to anyone if you can't do that (maybe that just applies to me, because I have the remnants of this saviour complex which means I always wanted to be last on the things I needed to fix)
  • Be honest with yourself and everyone around you. Sometimes I even deny to myself that I am sick and I try to hide it as long as possible, totally unhelpful. It sounds like you are already, but telling the absolute ugly truth to doctors even if I know I've done something wrong.
  • Try and reserve mental and emotional energy for things that truly matter (I'm still bad at this) but thinking about whether I'll give a damn about something one week, one month, a few years from now. Most of the time it's no.
  • Maintain /or work on a sense of self, we are not our MI's, see yourself as a whole person that is complex with a wide range of skills and interests
  • journal / blog/ call someone
  • The usual things like meds, sleep hygiene, acquired coping skills