CrazyBoards.org

I just can't sleep normal

Ever since I was little I've struggled to sleep normally it all started when I was little and my mam was addicted to speed so I used to stay up at night with her partly because I wanted to and I was terrified of her trying to kill herself (she has personality disorder and depression and wheni was little I was like her carer I also found her suicide notes) anyway ever since I've always been awake at night and slept during the day and I've tried hundreds of times to get into a regular routine but it never works I've been taking tablets for years herbal some Valium I've either bought of got off my mam anyway I've had enough I'm currently on 20mg amitriptyline to help me sleep but they don't work I just lie awake at night and don't sleep til 4-6am I wake up between 12-3pm I hate being tired so forcing myself to wake up early is impossible for me I'm just sick of living this way it's like my insomnia and anxiety run my life

Why aren't you on anything stronger than a sedating antidepressant if you have terrible insomnia? You could take it every night and it would help you get into a routine. If you don't want something addicting you could take a sedating antipsychotic such as Seroquel, and if you aren't against benzodiazapenes such as Valium you could trying getting one prescribed Restoril (temazepam) is a benzodiazepine used to treat insomnia symptoms. If you don't like the idea of either of those earlier options sometimes like Lunesta or Ambien could help ease your insomnia. Either way, complaining of severe insomnia and only being on herbal remedies and an antidepressant isn't really taking your insomnia severely. Lack of sleep can cause anxiety. 

I have the same problem with sleeping.  I learned to just go with the flow of the day (fortunately my days allow me to do that).  I do take Klonopin and xanax to help with sleep.  Staying asleep is the biggest problem for me; I can fall asleep fine.  Sleeping pills like Ambien I cant take because of side effects.

Once I'm asleep I'm pretty much In a coma doctors are very reluctant to prescribe me anything strong I don't know why tho I've told them how bad I am maybe it's harder in the uk? I got to sleep at 5am last nigh and woke up at 10am which is unusual for me it's going to be a long day