CrazyBoards.org

How can smoking cigarettes affect your meds and psychoses

I dont know if its coincodence, I started smoking cigarettes about a year ago and in recent months I feel more irritable.

I know that you usually get irritable if you miss a day or two without smoking but I smoke most days and while im having one I feel * relaxed * for about 15 minutes then I go back to being irritable...

Can cigarettes affect my meds? Im taking seroquel xr.

given the fact, that a lot of schizophrenics (not that you are one) do smoke ciggarettes heaveily, there must be some sort of correlation with antipsychotic drugs. Probably there's some connection on acetylcholine cause most of the meds have anticholinergic actions, cigarettes is like self medication against that as they probably raise acetylchole levels, of course you cannot prevent it to plummet after ceasing to use them

given the fact, that a lot of schizophrenics (not that you are one) do smoke ciggarettes heaveily, there must be some sort of correlation with antipsychotic drugs. Probably there's some connection on acetylcholine cause most of the meds have anticholinergic actions, cigarettes is like self medication against that as they probably raise acetylchole levels, of course you cannot prevent it to plummet after ceasing to use them

Could you cite references for your theory? My understanding is that you see a lot of smoking in schiz because the nicotine is thought to help with cognition. There finally is research into nicotine for cognitive and attention purposes.

Smoking causes withdrawal for everyone. That is why cigs are addictive. Cranky is a symptom of that. Cigs also interact with some meds. I don't recall Seroquel being one of them, though. The only mention of smoking in the prescribing info sheet is that it doesn't effect clearance of the med.

I'd stop smoking to see if that helps. If not, then it could be a mood issue.

Edited by AnneMarie

I dont know if its coincodence, I started smoking cigarettes about a year ago and in recent months I feel more irritable.

I know that you usually get irritable if you miss a day or two without smoking but I smoke most days and while im having one I feel * relaxed * for about 15 minutes then I go back to being irritable...

Can cigarettes affect my meds? Im taking seroquel xr.

my providers have told me that smoking may require being on a higher does of medication because it blocks its effect by trying to bind to the same receptors (dopamine).  smoking causes an increase, meds try and decrease it so it tends to lower the effectiveness of the med

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP1A2

According to the substrates list, a few medications metabolisms are sped up by smoking.

The following is from a Zyprexa PI sheet.

Smoking induces the CYP1A2 metabolism of olanzapine. Therefore, in smokers the
clearance of olanzapine is higher, on average, than the clearance in nonsmokers.

Later on they go to say if several factors changing the drug metabolism are found, then the dosage may need to be adjusted.

All in all it doesn't have a huge impact on medications, However the second part of the question was psychosis.
I looked at a few studies, that showed showing cause and effect is very hard to differentiate - who knows what really came first. If someone has a greater attention span they can trawl pubmed for hits :P