CrazyBoards.org

I saw this, it looks odd but promising, any opportunity people have to work through voice hearing in therapy rather than being forced onto heavy duty meds with no other option, I am for.

i dont know whether that's good or not but THAT AVATAR FREAKS THE SHIT OUT OF ME!

I personally believe trying to stop the voices with meds is the way to go. And becomming cool with voices can be done with other means like plain old therapy as well. you dont need computers and scary looking faces.

Edited by Überpolarbear

i dont know whether that's good or not but THAT AVATAR FREAKS THE SHIT OUT OF ME!

I personally believe trying to stop the voices with meds is the way to go. And becomming cool with voices can be done with other means like plain old therapy as well. you dont need computers and scary looking faces.

It freaks me out, too.

It's good if it works.  I don't know if would feed into my delusions though.  I tend to think the voices are someone in another room already. And meds do work well for me.

ok, that picture at the top is FUCKED UP. 

it's all...uncanny valley or whatever.  holy shit! 

i dislike the whole idea of building "avatars" of my voices.  it'd be disrespectful to do to my main one and i'm certain there would be disastrous consequences of some sort.  kinda like mocking someone who is your only hope really.

and i'd also not build them for the ones that are negative.  i don't think that would go well since i don't see them as "human" and it'd be just a farce.  kinda like asking a child suffering from a sexual trauma to point to where the man touched or something.  that seems helpful.  but then having the child make a voodoo doll out of it and argue...

this part: 

"The point is that because you created it you know it can't harm you. And therefore, you can say things to it that you wouldn't dare to say back to the voice."

i can't really explain all the problems with it for me, but there's something about it that strikes me as not appreciating their potential for exacting consequences...maybe even just that level of comfort that seems to be the goal...that's...underestimating a type of strength and let's just say sure, that avatar can't hurt me. and they can manipulate it to say whatever they want...but that has pretty much zero bearing on the actual them, you know?

it's like...ok, i create this projection/image...in likeness to something that pursues me. i can overwhelm this straw man i know isn't real...but when the real deal shows up that's all been some puppet show i've placated myself with and if anything i can see that working against me...as fodder for increased, not decreased, vulnerability.

one other thing: with the whole "engaging the voices" thing... i've never had someone try to talk to my voices.  there are a few people i know who've developed a level of trust with me and they do have a sort of "harm reduction" approach that i would overall say is the most effective one for reaching me when i'm psychotic. keeping me even remotely grounded.  but not so much talking to them or asking to or something--that would be weird and i don't even know what i'd say...prolly not be saying much to them after that though ...hehe...but...seriously, i have had people who give me audience...who listen and try to understand...who ask questions and don't dismiss...and that has been the only tactic that's ever been effective at keeping hold of me, if you konw what i mean. i realize they're doing it, but maybe the firm trust makes me not reject them prima facie and comprehensively...it keeps the conversation going.  that trust wouldn't exist if the approach were to just suppress and eradicate instead of trying to understand and communicate.

Well now.

We sort of do something a little bit similar sometimes, between ourselves and tdoc. It tends to make me really tired and I get a big headache. If I don't get a nap afterward I'm pretty discombobulated for a while.

It sort of feels to me that there was some inspiration there, but I'm not sure about that. There's a really fundamental difference between dissociation-voices and schizo-type voices. Maybe learning to live with them is good for everyone, and it's neat to try to explore the cross-over, I guess.