CrazyBoards.org

All the things I've been reading say that tracking your food intake is an effective intervention to lose weight while on atypical antipsychotics.

I've been off slurroquel for a while now and am still having a hard time, but making slow and steady progress.

I really need to lose weight also.  I have kept a food journal for over a year and it has helped basically maintain where I am at now.  Literally a pound difference.  I am exercising also.  So I am looking forward to suggestions if people have them.

Not sure about Abilify, but I'm on the oral Invega and have recently lost about 15 pounds through exercise. But Invega hasn't affected my appetite at all. I'm not sure if the injection differs from the pill in this aspect, but then again all meds affect people differently. I definitely think it's possible. 

Its easy, just eat only low-calorie vegetables. With about 200 calorie intake per day i was literally losing a pound a day. The only problem with this diet is the cost and the hassle.

If you are watching what you eat there is a sweet spot in where you are losing, staying stabile or gaining. You have to push that sweet spot enough and you ought to start losing.

Edited by konings

...With about 200 calorie intake per day i was literally losing a pound a day.

You were literally starving yourself, forcing your body to eat away at your muscles, and depriving your brain of nutrients.

200 calories a day? You burn moer than that sleeping.

This is SERIOUSLY bad, SERIOUSLY harmful advice.

Please rethink this, and address the fact that you are basically forcing your body to consume itself while doing this.

Nope, AP weight gain side effect make it impossible for most to lose weight.  As long you have access to food your going to be going for excess cals.  Some say to go on a low risk weight gain med like geodon or latuda.  I was on latuda with exercise shed 40lbs.

You were literally starving yourself, forcing your body to eat away at your muscles, and depriving your brain of nutrients.

Please rethink this, and address the fact that you are basically forcing your body to consume itself while doing this.

^THIS

Maybe, I didnt feel it though.

I find tracking what goes in my mouth has helped me lose a lot! In addition to geting my thyriod better in check. Not advertising but I use myfitnesspal.com and the app to plop it right into the diary. I can also track excersie and water (it synchs to my pedomiter also, this is a fantastic weight losing tool as well). The app has a upc scanner for products.  Also moving more in general, briskley walking. Since last July to now i've lost about 12-13 lbs. This to me is very encouraging as I started Lamictal and Seraquel at this time, so nothing gained is even a sucess for me.

Its easy, just eat only low-calorie vegetables. With about 200 calorie intake per day i was literally losing a pound a day. The only problem with this diet is the cost and the hassle.

If you are watching what you eat there is a sweet spot in where you are losing, staying stabile or gaining. You have to push that sweet spot enough and you ought to start losing.

This is horrible advice and can be a terrible trigger for anyone with an eating disorder. 

That diet would be costly.  When you are hospitalized from severe malnutrition and going into organ failure, the bills will add up quickly. 

Sorry, but I find this to be very upsetting and triggering advice.

I am on Seroquel, and Lithium and I am loving Weight Watchers.  I have lost 20 lbs

in three months and I like the program a lot.  Learning a lot about food and cooking.

This is the healthiest I have ever eaten in my life.  And I am not hungry.

I am satiated. 

Yes, I agree this is bad advice, and it IS VERY triggering.

I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa and am just recovering.

Now I want to try this.

Again, VERY BAD ADVICE.

If you want to try the 200 calorie a day diet, maybe a good thing to consider is that your body might go into starvation mode, which is when you eat so few calories, that your body stores it all as fat and your metabolism slows down.  Some people see "starvation mode" as a myth (if you google it you'll see what I mean), but personally this has happened to me.  I was restricting so much that even though it was low calories every day, I wasn't losing weight and was getting some belly fat.  Once I realized this I started eating again and it took 3-4 days for my body to get back on track.  It is hard to describe, but I definitely knew (with myself) when it was happening. 

Personally I would never go on a low calorie diet again because of how I felt and what it did to me when this all happened.  It took awhile for me to lose the belly fat I had gotten too after I started eating again.

If you want to try the 200 calorie a day diet, maybe a good thing to consider is that your body might go into starvation mode, which is when you eat so few calories, that your body stores it all as fat and your metabolism slows down.  Some people see "starvation mode" as a myth (if you google it you'll see what I mean), but personally this has happened to me.  I was restricting so much that even though it was low calories every day, I wasn't losing weight and was getting some belly fat.  Once I realized this I started eating again and it took 3-4 days for my body to get back on track.  It is hard to describe, but I definitely knew (with myself) when it was happening. 

Personally I would never go on a low calorie diet again because of how I felt and what it did to me when this all happened.  It took awhile for me to lose the belly fat I had gotten too after I started eating again.

The reason some people consider it a myth is that it doesnt happen to them. The solution is it is invididual and happens to some people not to others.