CrazyBoards.org

I am a disabled vet with depression and PTSD issues.  I had a heart attack last Sunday and on Tuesday after I was moved to the cardiac step down unit, my girlfriend called me to break up with me.  I am now consumed with thoughts of dying, and dying alone like my uncle did.  I am now convinced that I am unlikable, let alone lovable.  I have thought about killing myself and have cut myself a few times.  I looked for help and was told "this is temporary, just hang tough and move on".  This sucks and I am really hating life.  I think I would be better off dead.

You would not be better off dead! More people would miss you terribly than you are even aware about! How would your family and friends feel? You are irreplaceable. Girlfriends come and go until you find the right one. But suicide is permanent.

Please try and reach out for help again.

Make an appointment with a good therapist to help you through this rough time.

If the VA won't talk to you, call your congressman's office and ask for help.  If they won't go to bat for you, call your senator's office.   There is help available for vets, but unfortunately you have to be persistent.

I'm sorry depression is kicking your ass.  It's common for deep depression to set in after a heart attack, and you have a double whammy with the PTSD.  Please try to get help.  Everyone deserves to have a good quality of life.

olga

Those that tell you to "hang tough and move on" are likely not people who have a solid understanding of what it feels like to grapple with depression and PTSD.  Unfortunately, a lot of people think one can will oneself out of depression, which is not the case.

I am sorry that you have not gotten the help and support that you need and deserve.  There are professionals out there, though, who can understand what you are going through.  I hope you keep advocating for yourself and seeking help, because you are worthy of a better life. 

I am sorry to hear about what you have gone through. We care about you here at CB. I think you would definitely benefit from having a therapist. The people that have told you to move on seem to be rather careless. I agree with lifequake, you are worthy of a better life. 

Hi David,

You had a horrible week. I can see you are very distressed and with good reason. The person you spoke to is an insensitive jerk. You need time to heal from PTSD. It takes energy, perserverence and usually outside help but it is worth it. Please make the choice to stay and fight with us. I hope things get better for you soon.

Thanks to all, Im going to try and make it through this bout, however, Im not sure I have the strength to do so.

But see---this is what bothers me about this headset, that you need "strength" to get through a crippling depression and the agony of PTSD.  Strength has nothing to do with it.  What you need is effective therapy, possibly group therapy with other vets and the appropriate meds.  With all the PTSD I read about in the paper, I can't believe that your nearest VA hospital doesn't have a group therapy thing going on for PTSD.  If they don't, why NOT?  I have a Viet Nam vet friend who attends a weekly PTSD group at the Albany, NY VA hospital and he said that it has helped him a lot, especially with not feeling alone in this.

Someone has to be an advocate for you.  There is treatment out there.  You're entitled to it, and you need to make noise until you get it.

olga

David Im not sure where you reside or which war left you w/ PTSD etc but have you internet searched local support groups for veterans? or tried anyone at the VFW, amer. legion who might have been exactly where you are? I also think the idea of calling your congressperson can work ...ESP if a couple of people start calling on your behalf as well (Once this person starts thinking in terms of numbers and votes etc they tend to be more inclined to act). I dont know if youve been here or if it will help but  http://www.theveteranssupport.org/ this may help and Im sure theres a bunch more. A lot of these might help you but talking w/ someone who's figured out how to beat the maze (the one the fed govt makes u walk thru so u dont get anything u need because youre lost in it) . 

I understand where u r coming from when you think no one will miss you and you dont matter but I think you are wrong. It might seem like life is a pile of s*** right now but it gets better. It may take a little while but it does. I hope you are ok and that you found the drive to make it through this bout. Be well and I hope to see you here more often

Edited by Laudanum