CrazyBoards.org

Anti-depressants/stimulants; the same?

I'm not sure what the final med you're on is supposed to be; is it the AAP Clozapine/Clorazil?

Adderall is from the group of amphetamines (if I'm not mistaken, it has two types from this group in it.)  It works on norepinephrine and dopamine, through reuptake inhibition and direct release of norephinephrine and dopamine from where they are stored in your brain.

Trazodone is a serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor.

The first is a stimulant.  The second is an SARI antidepressant.  Some people experience antidepressants or anything acting on serotonin as activating; and yes, stimulants are generally understood to be activating.  Sometimes, in a few cases, stimulant therapy might be tried in people struggling with depression.

But they are not in the same class of drugs and they do not even work on the same things in your brain.

Edited by Mirazh

In both effect and mechanism of action, ADs and stimulants are very different.  

Stimulants are very rarely used to treat depression.  ADs are never rarely used to treat ADHD.  The reason for that is because the meds are unrelated.

EDIT:  Mir reminded me that Wellbutrin (an AD) is sometimes used to treat ADHD with mixed results.  

Edited by dianthus