CrazyBoards.org

it has been so good for me: the drug calmed my sky-high anxiety, put panic on the back burner, dialed back depression to an acceptable level, AND soothed my physical aches and pains as well.

Today is my last dose. Secondary to some insurance hocus-pocus, I no longer have coverage and do not qualify for federal, state, county, or local assistance. Trust me: I have done everything but bared my breast and beat-out a cadence on my ribs. I would do that, but at my age folks would cover their eyes, screech, and run in panic.

I fall between every crack that you can imagine and cannot afford the monthly cost of the med...I could, maybe, if it were not for other meds that take precedence such as Enbrel, and maintenance chemotherapy for a bone marrow disease.

I am not feeling sorry for myself, necessarily but will miss Cymbalta just as I would miss my best friend if she were to leave...

I trust you when you say that you have explored every option and done everything.  I just hope that maybe, by some miracle, this situation will change in the near future.  If I had to go off of a helpful med, I would grieve for its loss, too.  Grrr.  It is hard not to be upset that cost interferes with quality of life :(

This is very unfortunate and makes me frustrated.    Our healthcare system is very broken.  

Anyone who says it is "working just fine" is:  (1) extremely wealthy, (2) uninformed about healthcare policy and the way things actually work in the real world.       ( "Private markets should handle health care delivery of services and payment for said services" .... my ass.) or (3) someone who has never needed a doctor, a hospital, or a medication. 

Our pharmaceutical/scientific researchers develop these medications, you find one (usually after trial and error) that makes you feel better as it should . . . . and then you are priced out of the market for the medication - even with insurance!     

I hope some magic solution presents itself very soon. 

:wall: 

Edited by FlamelessCandle

This is yet another blow for you to absorb, and it upsets me greatly. Does your doc have access to samples? They are widely available here in the Mitten state. This medication has a reputation for having a difficult discontinuation effect, so prepare to hunker down. The patient assistance program is a good one, but it won't provide immediate access to the med. Still worth pursuing, though, and your reduced income and insurance madness should allow you to qualify. I hope a solution is forthcoming and quick!

Is Elavil an option for you?

Edited by vanderk

This is yet another blow for you to absorb, and it upsets me greatly. Does your doc have access to samples? They are widely available here in the Mitten state. This medication has a reputation for having a difficult discontinuation effect, so prepare to hunker down. The patient assistance program is a good one, but it won't provide immediate access to the med. Still worth pursuing, though, and your reduced income and insurance madness should allow you to qualify. I hope a solution is forthcoming and quick!

Is Elavil an option for you?

Just wanted to echo vanderk's question about samples... I just remembered that my mom received a ton of Cymbalta samples.. this was back in 2005 so maybe it was new then?  

Her own doctor, as well as my brother and his wife (who are both physicians) all had samples in large quantities.   Hope your providers have samples and they're willing to share.

Edited by FlamelessCandle

I have a Rx for Elavil...filled for $4.00 USD at one of the local big box pharmacies. I have been taking samples of Cymbalta for the last 45 or so days and did a reasonable titre. I am less concerned about those symptoms than I am about the return of the neuro discomfort and nagging low back pain.

I have an appeal filed with Lily for a compassionate override of their previous denial...time will tell.

Thanks for all the suggestions and good wishes.