CrazyBoards.org

President Obama Pushes To End Mental Health Stigma

Ending the Stigma?

The third paragraph jumps right into how mass killers have mental illnesses.  The 4th paragraph describes how the government wants to compile a more exhaustive list of who has a mental illness.  The the 5th paragraph, the prez states how treatment is, "available and effective."  If any active duty military personnel were to seek available and effective treatment it would render them ineligible to serve, something as commander in chief he could changed with an executive order.  The vice prez is going to talk more about mental illness and gun violence.  But the good news is that they have enlisted the eminently qualified actor Bradley Cooper (he was in a movie where he acted like he was mentally ill).  Hey, another actor, Glenn Close (she sure did play a nuanced and balanced portrayal of a woman with MI in Fatal Attraction).

Of all the people mentioned in this article do you know who was not there?  Doctor Fucking Nobody, not one single mental health professional, not even a fucking social worker.  Politicians and movie stars, fuck me, when are they going to start hauling out the FEMA trailers and asking for Red Cross Donations?  

If you want gun control, fine.  I don't particularly want much more in the way of gun control, but if you do, that's more than okay.  

The people in this article shouldn't be trying to hide their attempts at gun control behind lip service to helping people with MI. 

Man, I have got to disagree with you El Dorado. The president is trying to bring this front and center. Society tries to hide from it and then all of us with MI suffer because of tragically deficient mental health care.

ANYTHING that promotes a national discussion is a good thing. I don't see any negative statements or fear mongering by the President.

This effort should be applauded. It's time we get our heads out of the sand and help those of us who really need it.

Man, I have got to disagree with you El Dorado. The president is trying to bring this front and center. Society tries to hide from it and then all of us with MI suffer because of tragically deficient mental health care.

ANYTHING that promotes a national discussion is a good thing. I don't see any negative statements or fear mongering by the President.

This effort should be applauded. It's time we get our heads out of the sand and help those of us who really need it.

I agree for the most part. At the same time, I hate that the conversation is tied up in gun control, and more so, that the NRA uses MI as a scapegoat.

Yes, we should be making a big move and I don't really blame Obama per se.  But the actions listed in the article don't seem as if they would lead to any concrete steps or actions.  Enough talking.  Its time to do something that makes a difference.  What's the budget of this said program?  Who is chairing it?  What law does it derive its authority from?  What is the timeline for implementing the goals?  What are the goals?  

Is this push making even one more bed available in the already overcrowded mental health system?  Do we have plans to train more MI professionals for the future?  What are we planning to do for all of the servicemembers returning from a decade of war?  What are we doing about the prison system,which is the largest MI institution in the country?  

And as far as stigma goes, I think that it might help that every time they bring up mass shooting and violence they weren't yelling "mental illness" fast enough to tie their tongues   What's the ratio of violence committed by people with MI to violence committed against people with MI?  

I'm really not trying to be pedantic, but talk is cheap, I want to see some action.

We have a long road ahead of us. The majority of legislators in America seem to put mental health too low on the priority list. Starting a national discussion is a great step in the right direction. We can't criticize the efforts by being impatient. We can't put the cart before the house, so to speak.

As for gun control, I'm sorry to say that restricting our access to weapons is not too outrageous. Think about you at your worst. What would you have done with a weapon? It is entirely reasonable to insist that those of us with MI jump through some extra hoops to get a weapon. I would be perfectly in favor of requiring us to get medical clearance.

There is no easy answer and there is no quick fix. Patience would serve us well right now.

Edited by bluechick

Stigma? What the hell does one do when government employees are stigmatizing me?

My landlord (who is a sort-of-family member) has no clue how MI "works" and when I tell him he can't get it. He's a 56 yo civil engineer. If the "smart" people don't understand how does one make the rest of the country understand?

i love obama. But I think this was a waste of time and hype.

negative nancy

Just say I actually believe that for a second, for arguments sake.

What action can be done?

Well...

• Considering the new healthcare bill, hospitals and doctors will be incredibly overworked and underpaid causing millions of mistakes/lives/sanity/physical or mental independance. That will sure help the mentally ill!
  • We can make more hospitals, hire more doctors, and send more people to college to become doctors. Uh...who is paying for that? Me. At my minimum wage retail job while I support my autistic nephew.
  • The government will compile lists of people with mental illness, anybody whos sees a mental health care provider and know exactly what we tell our doctors. That will definitely help MIs open up to their doctors. I know it would make it easier for me! Especially when I am paranoid.
  • Gun laws aginst anyone with a mental illness will become even more strict, to the point where I (who is not violent or ever have been violent) wont be able to protect myself from the REAL crazies like rapists and murderers. That just makes me feel soooo much safer as a person with MI! Im sure glade people know more about stigma.
  • People with MI in the military will have to feel even MORE SILENCED than they already are. and god knows they feel silenced as it is, in fear of losing their credibility and their job. Because Obama knows gun violence is caused by MI! I mean it is logical, why would I give a guy a gun and PAY him to use it if he is a batshit-crazy-psychopathic-lunatic-murderer who hates children?? You know because of his anxiety in the civillian world because he is so used to being a mudpuppy overseas saving america. God forbid.

That article is almost comical.

Do you realize what that article is about? It is about letting people know that is okay to get help. Because if they dont get help they will turn into violent murderers.

The overall goal is reducing the stigma of mental health problems and encouraging those who are struggling to get help.

...he said untreated mental illness can lead to larger tragedies.

Agenda.

Most of that article is about the massive shootings in America, and how those people suffered a mental illness. So if you have a mental illness then you need help, because you could turn into a violent child killer.

Warms my heart, that Mr "Barry" Obama wants to push an end to MI stigma.

Sounds like a hipocrit.

Edited by Ace

Do you know an opinion of mine?

Private sponsor, not the government.

That way they will be able to make more money, considering the government can not legally take money for things like anti-stigma slogans/t shirts/stickers/other companies helping with those things. And believe it or not, that market spreads fast and wide. Has anybody NOT heard the slogan "keep calm and carry on"? As well, it would be much MUCH more believeable to me if someone who was dealing with MI or a caregiver/parent/teacher of MI rather than an actor who feels just so DAMN "intuned " with mentally ill people because he pretended like it once. As well, I have never...ever, ever heard a good and creative slogan from the government. No, seriously think about it. Just say no to MI? Really????

This article seemed like it might fit in here, similar topic

http://www.namicalifornia.org/news.php?page=current-news&lang=eng&id=4883#.Ua4VVUCsiSo

Published Date: 2013-06-03

With Mental Health Legislation Stalled in Congress, States Act From Politico by Kathryn Smith

States looking to address gun violence are overhauling mental health laws — and sometimes exposing rifts over how to best address the small but serious threat of violence.

large.jpgThere’s not much controversy among advocates when it comes to restoring funding that states had slashed during the economic lean years. But changing policies on involuntary commitment, or requiring therapists to report potentially dangerous patients, are stirring fears that well-intentioned policies could increase stigma and deter the very people who most need treatment from getting it.

Edited by confused

I'm still not convinced.  With the exception of the bland NAMI articles, the rest of these articles seem to be about MI people committing mass murder.  This sort of "dialogue" will not stop existing stigma.

I'm still not convinced.  With the exception of the bland NAMI articles, the rest of these articles seem to be about MI people committing mass murder.  This sort of "dialogue" will not stop existing stigma.

Conclusions  Schizophrenia was associated with an increased risk of violent crime in this longitudinal study. This association was attenuated by adjustment for substance abuse, suggesting a mediating effect. The role of risk assessment, management, and treatment in individuals with comorbidity needs further examination.

More than 20 epidemiological studies have reported on the association between major mental disorder and violence, including more than 10 that specifically have examined the relationship with schizophrenia.1 These reports typically find that schizophrenia is related to a 4- to 6-fold increased risk of violent behavior, which has led to the view that schizophrenia and other major mental disorders are preventable causes of violence and violent crime. Indeed, expert opinion has deemed that the evidence is sufficiently robust that new research should move beyond epidemiology and focus on treatment.23

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=183929

I wasn't sure where to look for stats on mental illness and violence, but this is one study.

I think it is naive' to believe there is no association.  I dread hearing the news reports of mass shootings and other violent crimes because many times it is found that the person had been dx with a mental disorder.  I don't want to be associated with that, I'm not violent.  But, I think until we can have an honest dialogue where people are given true information (less than 10% are violent and many of these have co-morbid substance abuse or aren't treated).  Then maybe we can get support for treatment of both mi and substance abuse.

Conclusions  Schizophrenia was associated with an increased risk of violent crime in this longitudinal study. This association was attenuated by adjustment for substance abuse, suggesting a mediating effect. The role of risk assessment, management, and treatment in individuals with comorbidity needs further examination.

More than 20 epidemiological studies have reported on the association between major mental disorder and violence, including more than 10 that specifically have examined the relationship with schizophrenia.1 These reports typically find that schizophrenia is related to a 4- to 6-fold increased risk of violent behavior, which has led to the view that schizophrenia and other major mental disorders are preventable causes of violence and violent crime. Indeed, expert opinion has deemed that the evidence is sufficiently robust that new research should move beyond epidemiology and focus on treatment.23

I wasn't sure where to look for stats on mental illness and violence, but this is one study.

I think it is naive' to believe there is no association.  I dread hearing the news reports of mass shootings and other violent crimes because many times it is found that the person had been dx with a mental disorder.  I don't want to be associated with that, I'm not violent.  But, I think until we can have an honest dialogue where people are given true information (less than 10% are violent and many of these have co-morbid substance abuse or aren't treated).  Then maybe we can get support for treatment of both mi and substance abuse.

Correlation does not imply causation, it's the first rule of statistical analysis.  I'm a white male, guess who else is, virtually all of these spree and serial killers.  Does that mean that until further research is in that "mitigates" other causes, we should start a task force and a national dialogue on white men?  

This is all smoke and mirrors.  They can't push any meaningful gun control through congress because they are too cowardly to stand up to the NRA.  So instead of growing a spine, they are making a bogeyman out of the mentally ill.  This way everyone can agree on a form of gun control.  I use to belong to the ACLU and the NRA, until the both showed their true colors. Hells bells, even NAMI is taking a treat the MIs like children approach till we all get this sorted out.  

I can be dangerous behind the wheel of my car after I've taken my meds.  Does that mean that we need to have a national "conversation" about people taking medication that could make them drowsy?

I'm not going to participate or support any sort of initiative or dialogue that has me playing the patsy.

Correlation does not imply causation, it's the first rule of statistical analysis.  I'm a white male, guess who else is, virtually all of these spree and serial killers.  Does that mean that until further research is in that "mitigates" other causes, we should start a task force and a national dialogue on white men?  

This is all smoke and mirrors.  They can't push any meaningful gun control through congress because they are too cowardly to stand up to the NRA.  So instead of growing a spine, they are making a bogeyman out of the mentally ill.  This way everyone can agree on a form of gun control.  I use to belong to the ACLU and the NRA, until the both showed their true colors. Hells bells, even NAMI is taking a treat the MIs like children approach till we all get this sorted out.  

I can be dangerous behind the wheel of my car after I've taken my meds.  Does that mean that we need to have a national "conversation" about people taking medication that could make them drowsy?

I'm not going to participate or support any sort of initiative or dialogue that has me playing the patsy.

I agree that the NRA is using anything , including the mentally ill, as a scapegoat for gun violence to avoid gun control.  There is a need for more access to treatment, though and this may be an opportunity to get our needs heard while people may be more willing to make changes? .

I whole-heartedly agree with eldorado on this issue.

And I understand this is a way to put the mentally ill in a place to be heard, and get attention it deserves. However, this is the WRONG kind of attention. I do not believe that negative attention is better than no attention, that just seems ludacris.

We need an organization who stands UP for MI's, not just an organization who just speaks for us. There is a big difference. What Obama is proposing is to say "LOOK AMERICA! These people are Mentally Ill, and they NEED HELP!! They need help because if they don't get it they will kill us all!!".

Granted that is a bit overdraumatized, but it's pretty much what that campaigne is about. And I definitely don't believe that any more people with mental illness will stand up for help, or get better help, when people think that the people getting help are dangerous and thats the only reason they ARE getting help.

Because you know what?? I do not need help because I am dangerous, I need help because I am vulnerable. And to me, this campaigne is taking advantage of my vulnerability and using my mental illness against people to push a political agenda, which is stricter gun control.