CrazyBoards.org

could lamictal counter react? or is it just me

So my doctor prescribed Lamictal to me because my episodes were worsening, but they feel more intense now its really bothering my everyday life. I'm snapping on people I don't mean too I feel bad then I'm depressed and feel completely soul-less I have no emotion. Then at the end of the day I'm decent. Could the Lamictal be making my episodes worse, and how long does it take for it to be effective I just want to do things without a frown on my face already...starting to feel hopeless

I don't know the answer to this, but I came here looking for info on the same drug.  I do know that it's a newer drug and that they don't know a lot about it.  I see a lot of people online saying they're having problems with it.  I started taking it maybe six months ago, and at first it seemed to help.  Then I got off of it accidentally (missed a dose here and there and had to start over to build back up to my dose.)  Now it makes me NUTS.  I am so irritable I can't function.  I can't handle being around my kids because I have no patience with them.  Right now I'm on a beach vacation and all I want to do is isolate and hide.  I don't have the energy to go to the beach, get in the pool, or do anything other than sit around and wish everyone would fck right off.  I'm getting off this crap and not getting back on it.  The psychiatrist can kiss my angry, depressed, unmedicated ass. 

Oh yeah, it also makes it hard for me to think straight.  I can't think of things I'm trying to say.  I stutter.  I feel anxious.  I feel angry.  It's like being stuck in the mud with a fire lit under your butt.  I have this weird need to GO but I'm still unable.  It sucks.  I want alcohol but by the way, another side effect of Lamictal that my stupid doctor didn't fill me in on is that it increases your sensitivity to alcohol BIG TIME.  I'm flushing this crap down the toilet.  It's poison. 

I recently started mine.. went up for 25mg to 50 and I am having some serious swings. I cant tell if its the same swings as always or ig its worse than usual. I have had a lot of crying episodes and have been really touchy about things swinging from sad, to regular to angry etc.

Lamictal can be a hard med to start. It can be destabilizing under 100mg or so. Somewhere around 200mg it acts more like a stabilizer, but it takes a bit to get there.

Lamictal can also be activating. A lot of pdocs consider it more of an antidepressant than a stabilizer. I use it for depression but can't take it without a stronger stabilizer or I go nuts. This is not THAT uncommon.

Lamictal has been around over 20 years. A lot is known about it, but like the rest of head meds, a lot remains a mystery.

I have been on Lamictal for years. It is an effective antidepressant for me, and since most antidepressants make me nuts, I'm grateful it exists.

Lamictal's titration was slow and irritating on many levels for me. I mean I appreciate it being slow because i didn't want the rash....I really needed this med to work! But I remember being quite swingy until I hit about 150mg and then I would level out for a few days and then when it was time to titrate up again I'd get all swingy. When I hit about 300mg that was my sweet spot and I was happy I powered through the frustrating weeks before hand! Sadly it took a shit on me and it didn't work after almost a year of being on it. 

I so miss the levelness, the balanced feeling I had on lamictal! Give it a chance :) 

Its definitely a slow mover. I was prescribed Celexa and that had me feeling great (although totally unhealthily manic) after just a few days. I cut that off and got put on lamictal and its dissapointing how long its taking to feel it.

I take 300 mg and it took months before it kicked in. BTW, if you want really good info on it, go to a board on Epilepsy. They have taken it for years, and are happy to share info. It was there I was convinced to stick it out. Good Luck.

When titrating up from 50mg to 100mg I got really, extremely itchy, but that was the only side effect.. though I have to admit I was already stable when I switched back to lamictal and went off risperidone.

The first time I took it, I had been extremely depressed and was on paxil previously. They weaned me off paxil and put me on lamictal, and I saw positive results within a week. 

Lamictal is an odd drug. I was on 400mg for over a year and it seemed to work well at first, but it got to where it seemed like it wasn't working at all, so my pdoc agreed to d/c it. I started a bad depressive cycle while d/cing it, and I noticed no benefit at anywhere from 100-300 (pdoc adjusted up/down while I was cycling to try to help the symptoms). I ended up with no psych benefit and a list of side effects after 6 weeks of dosing adjustments, so I'm off it totally now, and feeling better as the side-effects subside.

I did find it to be incredibly beneficial when I started it, so I'm not sure what to think of it. But I echo the whole 'tell everyone and everything to F-off feeling' because I've felt that way a lot while d/cing it. Weird drug.

I don't have Bipolar disorder. I was given this drug after a bunch of other antidepressants either didn't work or had side effects. I believe I read that it hasn't been used as a regular antidepressant much. Maybe that's where I got that it was new. Anyway I have not taken it in three days and I feel better. Still irritable but that's kind of normal for me.