CrazyBoards.org

When I was IP they put me on 600mg of Tegretol. Tonight when I saw pdoc he put me on 150mg of Lithium. He claims Lith is still effective at low doses and considering I had a strange SE from it the last 2 times, we're starting small and slow. Has anyone been on a combo like this before and did you find it beneficial??

I'm also on 1mg of Klonopin and .50mg of Risperidone. 

Thank ya everyone!

I've been on two mood stabilizers several times. Mostly I've been on Lithium and something else--Depakote, Lamictal, Tegretol, Topamax, etc.  

I was on Lithium and Lamictal with great results for 5 years. I got the double whammy because I was in very bad shape when I got to the point of diagnosis, and the pdoc wanted to double up. Then we kept it because it was working so well. I also took and still take Klonopin. It was a very good combo for me.

Five years later, I am tapering off Lithium (I was on 1,200 mg and had developed some bad side effects). After the 5 years, pdoc thinks that I will continue the stability with just Lamictal (apparently long periods of stable begat longer periods of stable).

If it helps to know, even though I ended up with a mammoth Lithium dose, I creeped up to it very, very slowly.

Good luck.

I'm on 2 mood stabilisers, Lithium and Lamictal. In the past I've been on 3 mood stabilisers, Lithium Lamictal and Depakote.

Don't worry about numbers. If you need to take more than 1 mood stabiliser to stay well that's ok, many many people take multiple mood stabilisers

I am on two mood stabilizers (Lamictal and Trileptal); they augment each other and the combo works better than either alone. They are the mainstays of my cocktail - the other meds change every now and then, but the Lamictal and Trileptal have been the main medications keeping me stable for years.