CrazyBoards.org

Stephen Fry's recent suicide attempt

Stephen Fry has revealed that he attempted suicide last year but was saved by his producer, who found him unconscious in a hotel room.

The actor, writer and presenter, who suffers from bipolar disorder, has previously spoken of earlier suicide attempts, including the first when he was 17, but told an audience in London on Monday night that he had never spoken about the latest incident, which occurred when he was filming abroad.

Stephen Fry: recent attempted suicide a 'close-run thing' | Guardian

Edited by Retromancer

I'm always really worried when he talks about this stuff, I hope he stays alive for many years to come, of all the people in the world he's one of the few outside of family who I'd actually get upset about if he died.

That said, I'm also glad he's open about his experiences. He does a very good job as the president of Mind by using his position as a high profile celebrity to spread awareness of bipolar and other mental disorders and the problems faced by the people affected by them.

His two part BBC documentary about bipolar was wonderful. A lot of celebrities who were surprisingly open were interviewed. Carrie Fisher, my favorite, was there, always treat. Very well done indeed. It's on YouTube. The Secret Life of Manic Depressives.

Oh, I'm glad he is OK.

I was very sad to hear of this, but I'm glad of his openness. It is important, to show the public that there are people suffering MI who do make a very great contribution to society, whether they realise or not (among other things).

I am really a great fan of his.  He's so fluent, intelligent, witty, and open about his struggles. I value this especially due to the somewhat transient and seemingly falsely motivated fame that is now available. He's so 'proper' and actually celebrated for actually having talent, that he almost seems like a throwback to a bygone era, in a good way.

I'd be very sad if he died and like Manic Maverick said, I hope he sticks around. He's fantastic!

Edited by EyeMindBeingGrim

He's someone whose life, existence, has made my life appreciably better.

And yes, he is a potent reminder

(It's still not going to get through some heads)

that to have mental difficulties or a mental illness does not automatically equate to being mentally incompetent and useless.

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this is the first i've head of this. When I was trying to better understand my DX his documentary was very helpfull. It presented many sides of the DX. I also would truely mourn his death. But I hope that he can find his path to wellness

• 1 month later...

Stephen Fry writing about this: http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/06/24/only-the-lonely/

And perhaps I am writing this for any of you out there who are lonely too. There’s not much we can do about it. I am luckier than many of you because I am lonely in a crowd of people who are mostly very nice to me and appear to be pleased to meet me. But I want you to know that you are not alone in your being alone. - See more at: http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/06/24/only-the-lonely/#sthash.tAJ4BJb6.dpuf