CrazyBoards.org

Just found Jesus, Manic?

I started going to church with some friends strictly as a social event. Church, then out to breakfast. While I have always believed in God, I just could never accept the whole concept of Jesus. I figured if I was going to Church I would at least listen to the Koolaid.

Someone suggested I read a book called The Case for Christ which was written by an investigator. OMG. After 260 pages I can see it all come together. I can almost say I believe now. I am 55 so a change in thought is something totally new.

It almost makes me think I have gone Manic because what else w ould explain the sudden belief. I have started to read the book of John and feel like a new person. Is this real, or possibly mania?

Is "The Case for Christ" Lee Strobel's book?

(I know more than one by that title)

If so, I say it had definite flaws, (which does not necessarily mean it is wrong, being logically careful here.)

If you get through it and spot nothing questionable at all, I'd  suggest you are open to new ideas, leaning towards being too open and not sceptical enough.  Which could be the embracing (and unbridled?) enthusiasm that can come with a swing towards mania.  But again, that on its own isn't proof.

And a drop of critical thought here, too, please.

This *is* only my opinion.

Chris.

It's a tricky issue that, in my opinion, only the passage of time will tell you for sure whether you have had an epiphany.

The only time in my life that I came close to finding Jesus was when I was suffering from psychosis. When I came out of it, I no longer believed.

In my opinion there is absolutely no harm in embracing your new found faith. If it brings you comfort and does not hurt anyone else then by all means go for it. Even if you stop believing at some point in the future, I still don't see any harm in embracing it now.

It's a tricky issue that, in my opinion, only the passage of time will tell you for sure whether you have had an epiphany.

The only time in my life that I came close to finding Jesus was when I was suffering from psychosis. When I came out of it, I no longer believed.

In my opinion there is absolutely no harm in embracing your new found faith. If it brings you comfort and does not hurt anyone else then by all means go for it. Even if you stop believing at some point in the future, I still don't see any harm in embracing it now.

The only times I've believed in God were when I was manic or hypomanic. I felt like I was specially chosen to be some kind of magnificent gift to the world. 

That does not mean it will be the same for you. However, the only way to know for sure is to track your moods carefully and watch for signs of grandiosity because manic religious delusions often center around a feeling of being specially chosen or at the extreme end, actually being a manifestation of God. In the meantime, I see no harm going in going to church, reading the Bible, etc. Those actions are perfectly normal. You will eventually know if your faith is genuine, it just might take some time. 

Hi!

Former Christian now I just believe in God.

The book of John is a very good starting point. All about love and forgiveness in a practical way.

Manic church going is giving all your money to the church and then you don't have money for food or rent.

Short story - I went to a presbyterian college (but it wasn't so much). We had to take an old testament class and new. What I remember very clearly is that both professors strongly argued to talk in "I think" statements rather than "I feel" when discussing religion.

Good Luck!!

db

Yes, as Annemarie asks:

How is your sleep?  How many hours a night?  Has your sleep changed?

Are you having pressured speech?

Hypersexuality?

Giving your money to the church, or to Nordstrom's?

Are your thoughts racing?

Any other manic symptoms?

I consider myself a Christian and I believe in Christ.

However, when manic I thought God was speaking to me personally.  Sort of delusional.

As others have said, are you doing things that are extreme out of the norm for you?  If so then this might also be a sign of imending mania. But I also am a practicing Christian and well I hope that you have found a way for peace in your soul I want you to be safe (and IMHO God wants that too).

After a few days I can say that I am not manic. I was really gung ho after reading that book. Right now I am reading The Case for Christ by the same author.

My enthusiams has come down to a reasonable level also,.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

People have very real religious experiences like this all the time. I doubt every one of those people are maniac. That being said, I notice that when I am maniac, I get VERY religious. I will want to go to church constantly, pray constantly, feel this connection to the universe and people that is unnatural (very hard to explain but it's over the top). I think just give it time. If it's mania, it will pass, just make sure you aren't giving all of your belongings away, running off to join a convent, or anything else irreversible like that in the mean time.

If it doesn't pass, then embrace it. My beliefs have comforted me through very hard times. It can be a wonderful and beautiful thing. Take care.