CrazyBoards.org

So a week ago I woke up with tremendous back pain, radiating into my right shoulder. Oh yay, a vertebrae out of alignment, pinching on a nerve! Hooray! Well I had a leftover prescription for methocarbamol (from when I had torn a muscle in my neck a year and a half ago). It is 750 mg, and it says you can take 1 or 2 on the label. I tried taking one.. nothing happens. So the other night I took 2, and still, no relaxation, no releif, no drowziness either (which is good, I hate that).

Can anyone think of a good reason I don't seem to be affected by methocarbamol? I also have some cyclos (cyclobenzaprine = flexiril) from the same neck injury but those always made me sleepy so I only took 1 once this week, and it was before laying down for a nap. When I awoke 3 hrs later I wasn't sleepy and I didn't have any relief or relaxation from that, either.

Have the meds expired maybe? They were from January 2012, but sealed in a pill bottle this whole time...

muscle relaxants aren't effective for all types of pain. unless a doctor has specifically recommended you take those drugs, its likely that the type of pain you're experiencing may not be related to muscle tension. i would try alternating hot and cold compresses, gentle stretching, and ibuprofen.

Thank you for the reply.. I feel like an idiot though, I didn't even try ibuprofen yet! I did try the hot and cold thing, and it did help. Stretching helps in the morning, because when I wake up it is the worst due to being stiff through the night (can only sleep on my left side, and just the other day could finally start sleeping on my back again).

• 1 month later...

I just was reading about this drug, I have never heard of  it before.  In the states here It's manufactured as Robaxin and you start out at a higher dose then drop it down. It can also add to the effects of other medication.  Here is a link to Mayo Clinic on it, if anyone is interested.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR602703/DSECTION=precautions-