CrazyBoards.org

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has been on Seroquel before and has come off of it and went on a better medication with less side effects. I have been on Seroquel for a very long time ( I have a bad memory, but it's been at least 10 years. I've been reading the blogs and forums and such, and they are saying some bad stuff about Seroquel. I asked my doctor which pill I was on that was definitely stopping my weight loss one time and she said, Seroquel was definitely one of them. I also have this weird side effect: my nose gets really stuffed up most of the time after I take Seroquel...this is really annoying and my anxiety automatically kicks in (it's like a trigger for me). So I was wondering if there was something my doctor might be able to prescribe that's non-habit forming (because if it is, he probably won't even think of prescribing it). Any input would be much appreciated.

Well, obviously everyone is different in their side effects issues, for me, none of the atypical anti-psychotics work for me, all of them have horrid side effects or just don't do anything. 

When I went IP last week, I was prescribed a really low dose of Thorazine, and I've had NO side effects, and it works well so far. So...from my experience, Thorazine works, even though it is one of the stronger, "scarier" anti-psychotics just because of potential side effects, and that they use (in high dosages) it for "really crazy IP people" for lack of a better term...

I am on Latuda. Seroquel wasn't as good of an AP for me even though I was on it for quite some time. And I heard the congestion you experience is a bit typical, I experienced it too. It stopped once I got off of it. I haven't experienced any side effects from the Latuda and this is the one is the most effective I have been on so far, it has really helped with my voices delusions and hallucinations. 

Any medication can be better than the one you are on now so just be open to trying new things, typical and atypicals. 

Thank-you Crazymusician0704,

I forgot to mention, they put me on Seroquel as a sleeping pill (I had been on a lot of meds. to help me sleep, but none of them worked like Seroquel). Now, I'm hooked on it and I tried going off of it before and it was horrible--it was a son-of-a-bitch...but if something else works better for sleeping i'd like to try it. No offense, but Thorazine kind of scares me...I don't mean to I don't mean to stigmatize it, I am just looking for that magic sleeping pill with less side effects than Seroquel that won't interact with my other pills.

cfranco92 and larkspur,

I'm glad the med you are both on is helping you.  I don't know if it would be the best fit for me--I don't know why they put me on Seroquel in the first place, as my problems are anxiety and depression, but as you can see in my history, they DID try a lot of things for me that just didn't work.  Very frustrating. 

I was on Seroquel for sleep as well, it didn't work...but I'm on Ambien now, which works fine.

And don't worry, when my IP pdoc mentioned Thorazine it kinda freaked me out too, but hey...it works for me!

I think we all go thru the hell of trying to find the right cocktail which takes forever, some meds work some don't, and sadly everyone's different in the aspect of what meds will work.

Edited by Crazymusician0704

Have you tried trazodone?  I used it for a while.  It worked great for a couple weeks and then stopped working.  But there are other people who find it really great and it's quite mild as far as side effects go.

Edited by tryp

Saphris helps me sleep. Thorazine did, too, although I also got tripped out about taking it. Still, something to consider if you try other options that don't work. The dosage I took for sleep was really small, plus Thorazine is used for vomiting when you have a stomach virus or other condition causing emesis and as a pre-surgical anesthetic/anti-anxiety med. Being on it doesn't mean you're completely bonkers, and you don't have to be on high doses to facilitate sleep.

I am on seroquel too. I take 600mg total. It is also the only, or one of the very few, things that along with klonopin and trazodone put me to sleep.

Have you tried remeron or trazodone? Both work for sleep. They are anti-depressants. But can be used for sleep too.

Or any of the other sleep meds like rozerem or ambien or lunesta?

What are the best ones for NOT having weight gain?  I just had a hysterectomy 3 months ago and I still can't exercise the way I want to and I'm VERY BLOATED.  Would anyone know of a "safe" diuretic I could use to get  rid of some of this bloat?  I can't fit any of my jeans...and I'm the shape of an apple.  :horny:

Z drugs are usually a good place to start. Fast onset, non-addictive, very useful.... if they work for you. Restoril (and sometimes klonopin) can be used for sleep, but there can be that tolerance problem. If weight gain is an issue, I'd stay away from strong histamine drugs like remeron (and seroquel!)

The transition off of seroquel could be hard. First time I did it, it took almost 10 days before I could sleep through the night without waking up, even with new meds. This last time I had no problems, but then again, I switched all but one of my meds at the same time. YMMV.

Nothing else has ever given me brain-smashing sleep like seroquel, and I've been through a lot of drugs for insomnia.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but what are "Z" drugs?

They are drugs similar to benzodiazepines, but designed specifically for sleep, and in theory without the addictive potential of benzodiazepines.

They're all called Z drugs because their names start with Z - zopiclone, zaleplon, zolpidem etc.

I also had a stuffy nose after I took Seroquel. Quite alarming - had to breathe through my mouth. But it was a very good anti-depressant. Geodon is quite sedating - I take most of mine in the evening. But you may not want to go the AP route for sleep only. The Z-drugs are, as tryp said, in theory not as addictive, but you can still get tolerant and get a mean rebound insomnia if you take them regularly and then stop.

Chlorpromazine was effective for me in the past for sleep, and I mean REALLY sleeping the day away (which you probably won't like). I used to take 100mg, and that kept me asleep through the night and half the day after. 

If you are prone to hypotension, though, it may be wise to stay away from it, because I faint about twice when I take it. Usually when I get up from sitting or lying down. But it will REALLY knock you out, so maybe you could try a lower dose and see how it goes.

Seroquel (at 800mg) knocked me out too, and I had immense daytime sedation, which meant that I was asleep during lectures in medical school ALL THE TIME. I was even called out by lecturing professor because she noticed that I was always asleep (and she lectures once every 3 days only). I also had a 30 pound weight gain, which was a pain to lose. Mainly, I craved food so much that I would even make plans to eat in secret, because I was recovering from an ED and was still ashamed to have anyone see me eat. I became 140 punds (I'm 5'2). Now I'm down to 110 pounds, and would like to go down some more, and with Seroquel out of the picture, the weight has come off.

Ask your doctor about chlorpromazine. It's an old-school AP, very cheap, though I did warn you already. YMMV of course.

PS. It's not addictive too, as none of the APs are addictive in nature and in theory, but getting off some of them may be a pain for some people.