CrazyBoards.org

not psychotic, but on seroquel as sleep aid,want to switch but tried lots

Hi there! I have anxiety disorders--Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with panic attacks and Major Depression.  I have a hard time leaving the house (not scared to, just get so physically and emotionally drained) I think its linked to depression. Anywho, I was put on many sleeping pills because my other pills (and my racing mind) keep me up and the only one that worked for me has be Seroquel.  The thing is that it caused ALOT of weight gain and makes my nose all stuffed up and hard to breathe. I wonder why they put me on an anti-psychotic when that's not one of my illnesses? Maybe they couldn't think of anything else at the time. Whatever the case, I want to get off the Seroquel and onto something that doesn't have the side effects (esp. the weight gain) but I tried lowering my Seroquel one time and I thought, wow, that would be hard withdrawal. Has anyone with anxiety disorders/depression disorders had any luck with a different sleeping pill?  I know one I tried gave me the most bitter taste in my mouth that lasted all day the next day.  Anyway, any suggestions???

The name "antipsychotic" is not really sufficiently broad to encompass everything that these drugs can do - they are quite commonly used for depression and anxieity as well as other conditions.

The bitter tasting one was probably one of the Z drugs (they sure do make your mouth taste like junk).  Have you tried any others?  It's hard to suggest things without knowing what you've tried.

If the bitter taste pill was Ambien CR (The generic) be aware that there are several companies that make it.  One is so bitter its....   Awful.  The only way that works for me is to swallow it as fast as possible followed by water (milk whatever)   There are other brands that have little to no taste.  Its a request that many pharmacies don't get (often) but if you get a pill thats bitter to swallow ask if they might order from a different company next time.   I ran out of the "good ones" and have been switched back but...  Swallow fast!

BTW for what its worth my significant other takes Amitriptyline (A fairly low dose) and it puts her to sleep very well.  Thats another drug that the side effect is its primary use for some patients.   I know Benzos have a pretty bad rap and taking them regularly is probably not the best idea but drugs like Valium have been used in the past as a sleep aid (And trust me they still work for that purpose)

I am not sure what sleep meds you have already tried.  There really are a lot of options out there.

You could try switching to a different AAP, which might be more weight-neutral.  You could give a TCA, like Doxepin or Amytriptyline, a shot.  There's also Vistaril (antihistamine), Remeron (antidepressant), Restoril (benzo), and many more.

I would suggest talking to your doctor about what he/she thinks would be an appropriate medication to try and if getting off of the 'Quel is right for you.