CrazyBoards.org

Need a benzo for pre-surgery freak-out, any suggestions?

I am going to have surgery later this week to look for cancer in my uterus, and needless to say, I'm pretty freaked out about it.  The symptoms started back in January, the initial tests weren't definitive, I was on hormones for three months (a common initial treatment), but the symptoms came back, and now they're going to take a bunch of biopsies.

My doc offered benzos to get me through the week before surgery, but I initially declined.  I have since changed my mind.  As the time gets closer I'm getting really edgy. 

What do you recommend for a short course for someone who's usually not too anxious?  And what should I expect in terms of functioning at my technical job?

Every time I have surgery I take xanax and klonopin beforehand and after.  They always take the edge off for me. 

If you aren't on them now to begin with, IMO a small dose will help.  Remembering back to when I first started xanax, it really relaxed me.  Klonopin is more long-acting, and for me at least, works the same way; just stays in my system longer.

I hope everything turns out to be ok.

Edited by melissaw72

When I've had oral surgery and also when I had a hysterectomy, they offered me Ativan.  I don't normally suffer from anxiety, but I took it for both of these surgeries and it helped a lot with being relaxed going in.  Just be sure that someone is driving you there if you are not used to benzos. 

We'll have our fingers crossed for you, catnapper. <3

olga

I use Valium for anxiety.  And particularly for the kind that you have.  I use the 5 mg. pill which is pretty small. It smooths off all the edges and calms me down.  I don't know if you have taken any benzos before but if not, I would definitely try a small dose out before the surgery.  Ativan  actually increased my anxiety, sent me into the closet screaming and crying.  Xanax put me to sleep, which may be a good thing for you?  

Definitely use them.  I was afraid also but I have not become addicted to valium at all.  I have been using it for a few years now and only very occasionally.  Perhaps because of my depression, this med does not usually draw me in.  if I am depressed, it just makes it worse.  But for anxiety, it is perfect.  If I have a performance to videotape or a teacher to see for my girl or a MIL coming to visit, I take my little yellow pill with the cutout heart. 

Sending good wishes and strength and healing and as Olga said, *fingers crossed*.

I take Klonopin and have taken something stronger before surgery.

If you go with Klonopin, I would cut a 0.5mg tab into quarters and try one of those in the evening to see if you could work on that much or more. The med was pretty sedating for me for years.

u probs shouldnt take a BENZO for ur incoming surgical adventure, cause since some of those types of drugs r dangerous for u...

Fear-mongering much?

All drugs can be dangerous. Duh. If a doctor familiar with medical history and upcoming procedure prescribes, there's nothing to suggest it would not be safe. Also, Catnapper is smart enough to make sure the doctor performing the surgery and the anesthesiologist know what she's taken beforehand.

u probs shouldnt take a BENZO for ur incoming surgical adventure, cause since some of those types of drugs r dangerous for u...

The doctor has already offered a benzo. Benzos are used in surgical procedures all the time. Don't give advice when you are ignorant of the basic facts.