CrazyBoards.org

Hi, which one do you think is causing Akathasia for me, the Gabapentin or the Abilify? And on a totally different topic, do you think that my GP would prescribe something like Propanlolol (think i screwed up the spelling for that one) ?  He is supposed to be in touch with my pdoc and my psychiatrist and I can't stand the Akathasia, i'm having such a hard time to sleep....I want to move around all the time and it's driving me crazy....

It is more than likely the Abilify causing the akathisia. I got akathisia at low doses too. Your GP would probably be happy to prescribe you some propranolol or cogentin. I know how rough akathisia can be, it's pure torture. 

Edited by Parapluie

It's likely to abilify.. I had that major problem with it, as the dose was increased, so did the akathasia. It sucked. None of the stand-by's worked. I can't tolerate cogentin, I have relatively low blood pressure because I take HCTZ for diabetes insipidus, which lowers blood pressure, so beta blockers like Inderal were out because I have fainted in the past from low blood pressure, Artane didn't work, and Mirapex's side effects scared the shit out of me!

I switched AAP's, it got intolerable.

Hopefully you can work something out. I'm one of those people that reacts strangely to a lot of things. Cogentin is perfectly fine for most people. For something like Inderal, you'd have to be monitored a bit with your blood pressure and heart rate, it can lower them. Cogentin is the first line treatment for akathasia, Inderal is second. (usually)

It's most likely the Abilify; I know abilify can cause akathisia. You should check with your doc to see if akathisia is a possible side effect of gabapentin; I'm certainly not an expert but I don't believe it causes akathisia. Your pharmacist might also be able to tell you if it's a possible side effect.

Hey notfred, who pissed in your Cheerios? I asked a question that was bothering me and sometimes when I'm anxious, I don't realize that it sounds like something I already said. If you don't like it, don't reply--don't even read it, but i'm not going to take your shit. This isn't the first time you were snarky with your comments to me and other people. Other people are just trying to work things out and sometimes they need reassurance---do us a favor and leave us alone.