CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
jjassonn

To what extent does the brain recover after stopping antipsychotics?

I am with dianthus, this sounds like negative symptoms, which do have some treatments.

I feel like I've lost intelligence, vocabulary, memory; I feel more awkward and uncomfortable and unconfident socially; my brain feels numb and very different in a bad way; and everything is boring and worthless.

I was on geodon for four months. I've now been off it for two weeks. I still feel very affected.

How much should my brain recover, and how long should it take before I see significant results?

I have been on risperidone for a couple month and I know what are you talking about. And I talked to some people who were treated with antipsychotics as well, they also have such condition. It's not that common and psychiatrists will rather believe that you exhibit negative symptoms, but it's not true. Negative symptoms can't just appear out of nowhere in several months, they take years to be apparent.

I also have or had trouble concentrating and thinking, I felt detached from people, emotinally flattened and coulnd't feel a conversation. My voice seemed to be dull and I had no motivation to participate in my usual activities or do what I usual enjoy. It didn't feel interesting or exciting anymore, it became a burden. I had trouble reading or following a plot or even remembering my last year. I was physically and mentally slow. Didn't enjoy music or Internet browsing. Just sat and watched TV without any particular interest. But I can't say I had no emotions at all, I always felt uneasy and anxious about something. It occupied my mind. So I just didn't pay attention to everything excluding my physical state, and I felt tired and weak.

After I came off risperidone, though, I felt better. Not only physically, anxiety left me and in time I started to get spontaneous memories and urges to do something. But it wasn't easy. I could barely read and had a hard time following the plot. Conversations still made me bored and I had no interest in learning new things. Things and places that were well-known to me now didn't trigger emotions at alll. But that's not all. Sometimes I felt like my perception is slightly altered, like something isn't right. Everything is the same as it should be, but also isn't. Sometimes I felt like I was in a half-asleep state. It is similar to when you think about something so intensely you barely notice something, but the difference is you aren't thinking at all. In fact, I wasn't thinking quite frequently, I just stared into space for some time without any emotion or desire.

After week or two after stopping risperidone I finally fell into the strangest and most deep depression I've ever been. All I felt was strong dysphoria, I couldn't experience any pleasure at all. Suicide thoughts and everything I've described and also strange restlessness. But it has ended, I think. Right now month has passed since I stopped taking any medications and I feel a bit better. I can enjoy reading and having a conversation, my ability to concentrate and recall things is returning slowly. And so should yours.

I talked to some people who's been or still on neuroleptics. Most of them say everything should return to normal in several months, though some say it may be permament. Interesting that one of them is a schizophrenic taking Abilify. Right now he is feeling better than before, though he had similar symptoms when on another antipsychotics.

It is unusual that there is not much information about such side effects. Apparently, most people don't experience them. However, there are some who do. I have found something that may prove that. This pdf shows complains in percentage, for example. I've noticed you are registered on drugs-forum, there are some stories about such side-effects as well. There are more in the Internet. So you're not having a negative symptoms. But no one knows when what you're feeling will pass.

Edited by 4thbidden

Thank you for the post. It's been almost four weeks now, and the side effects have barely improved, if at all. Every single side effect.

Have been on various APs (including Resperdal) for 3 months, definitely can relate to all the symptoms described here. It's been 1.5 months since I quit the APs but I still don't feel any better. Constantly feel that my preception is slightly changed, can't get the feelings from listening to music that I used to have. Really prefer to lie in bad or sleep on weekends, low  sex drive. I hope it goes away in a couple of months or a year maximum, though It might be permanent.

Yeah this isnt symptoms, if it were these people would be occupied with other thoughts and wouldnt be readily aware theres something wrong with them in the first place.

Basically I think its never good to feed any notable dose of antipsychotic to someone without at least moderate psychosis. Maybe you could ask your doctor for a dopamine simulator, I at least heavily doubt it will make anything worse. If illegal drugs, which probably do increase such brain chemicals are known to remedy this sort of thing that might just work.

If illegal drugs, which probably do increase such brain chemicals are known to remedy this sort of thing that might just work.

No. It is never ok to advocate that someone take illegal drugs. This is wrong on so many levels. Don't do it. It won't make anything better and it may very well make things a lot worse.

If illegal drugs, which probably do increase such brain chemicals are known to remedy this sort of thing that might just work.

No. It is never ok to advocate that someone take illegal drugs. This is wrong on so many levels. Don't do it. It won't make anything better and it may very well make things a lot worse.

I didnt.

Another thing I've noticed is that I can't even get high anymore. Well, I can, but the feeling is nowhere near what I used to experience.

Another thing I've noticed is that I can't even get high anymore. Well, I can, but the feeling is nowhere near what I used to experience.

What on earth are you taking to try to get high? Does your pdoc know about it?  Did it ever occur to you that mixing street drugs in with your illness and whatever meds you are still on could be what's screwing with your state of mind right now?

Isnt it kind of logical? Antipsychotics strongly block the same chemicals that street drugs usually increase to create a high.

Edited by konings

What on earth are you taking to try to get high? Does your pdoc know about it?  Did it ever occur to you that mixing street drugs in with your illness and whatever meds you are still on could be what's screwing with your state of mind right now?

Weed, lol. The thing is I've been misdiagnosed and don't even visit my pdoc anymore. I'm also 1.5 months off all meds. And I'm sure it's not the "mixture", cos without weed I feel just as shitty as with it.

Isnt it kind of logical? Antipsychotics strongly block the same chemicals that street drugs usually increase to create a high.

But I haven't taken any ap's in 1.5 months. Shouldn't everything be already back to normal? 

If you were prescribed anti-psychotics, you probably need them.  No, not every Psychiatrist or GP is incompetent.  Yes, even weed will fuck with your head.

Actually I used both and I can assure you that no amount of weed smoked during several years can fuck you up as bed as few months on something like resperidone. That is my personal experience. 

If you were prescribed anti-psychotics, you probably need them.  No, not every Psychiatrist or GP is incompetent.  Yes, even weed will fuck with your head.

Actually I used both and I can assure you that no amount of weed smoked during several years can fuck you up as bed as few months on something like resperidone. That is my personal experience. 

For me, the weed is worse... much worse than anything antipsychotics have done. Not everyone has the same reaction.

Yeah so no need to assume he would have the same situation as you.

Ive had some side effects subside 6-7 months after stopping the med that caused it. It is known that something like risperidone will not free your receptors entirely for several months, that is the reason why if you are schizophrenic and stop meds it takes several months for your symptoms to fully return. So time may help.

Anyone know how long Invega takes to clear from the body? But I do agree with what a lot of people here are saying the drugs are taken every day because of how quickly they leave the body. Unless you were given a long acting injection within weeks you should not have any signs of the medications. If medications were to last as long as you say the need to re-administer them wouldn't be an issue. Even with long acting injections they become less effective after a month of being administered and need to be re-administered. A lot of people note deterioration in cognitive function because they are treated when the mental illness is just starting out, especially with psychotic disorders, they are DAMAGING to the brain, as well as manias (psychotic or not). 

Have you ever considered that it is just easier to blame the medication, than blaming it on your illness progressing? It would be like saying you had a minor infection which became worse, and you never had this type of issue before starting antibiotics. And blaming the progression on the antibiotics, when in fact you just had a serious infection. This is just an example. 

Is the medication causing your symptoms or simply treating the condition. Geodon is sedating, it is not absorbed well without food, and like all antipsychotics it has a risk of a serious movement disorder, but it's effects don't last as long as you'd think. I'm not quite sure why you first took the Geodon for mood or psychosis or another off-label idication. I've been on Geodon and the negative side-effects wore off in 1 day after I discontinued.

Edited by Forbidden91

I was on an old depot called Fluanxol. The akathisia was unbearable but it took 3 MONTHS off the depot for the akathisia to be non existant...