CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
jjassonn

To what extent does the brain recover after stopping antipsychotics?

For what it's worth, I took slurroquel in various doses for about 5 years.

It took a while for me to get my brain back, but I also gave myself with various "challenges" (like making myself read along in a printed book while I was listening to the audio version, playing brain games online, sudoku, crossword puzzles, etc even when they were hard).

I'd say that after 6 months of being off I felt remarkably more functional and about a year after being off, I had my brain back.

I took slurroquel for PTSD/anxiety symptoms, though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference, as there aren't really "negative" symptoms in the same way.

There's a high possibility your suffering from something other than the anti-psychotic medication withdrawal.. The reason your doctors are blowing you off is that its  unlikely for you to still be suffering from withdrawal symptoms. Like a previous poster said "No one wants to be crazy".  I personally have been off and on Geodon twice, once time for 12 months and one time for 3 months, and havn't had any lingering side affects, but everyone is different ;)

I would also like to know. Been on risperdal for two years and I'm getting off in the near future. I just quit smoking cigarettes because I had two relapses or w/e u call them and both times I started smoking in my room and inhaling the smoke while I tried to sleep.

So basically what I'm looking for is success stories to get my spirits up. I haven't felt emotions for two years and my mom just goes along to whatever the doctors say and won't let me discontinue them in the way I want to. So yea success stories please. Thanks

I would also like to know. Been on risperdal for two years and I'm getting off in the near future. I just quit smoking cigarettes because I had two relapses or w/e u call them and both times I started smoking in my room and inhaling the smoke while I tried to sleep.

So basically what I'm looking for is success stories to get my spirits up. I haven't felt emotions for two years and my mom just goes along to whatever the doctors say and won't let me discontinue them in the way I want to. So yea success stories please. Thanks

no success story here, but i totally feel your pain. my family wont also let me get off the meds and its been a year and a half and they dont understand that i suffer because of this medicine. 

how are you doing now narshe?

Last time we pm'd he was still experiencing the post-effects (about a month ago). As for the success stories, well after almost a year I feel ok, really. I can't say that it is 'my old self' back because I don't exactly remember my pre-med world perception and concioussness, most likely it isn't. But again the state when you are bothered by it (what's worse - bothered by it every second you are awake) is completely gone. But I enjoy music, series, cinema, reading, studying, working out again to a certain extent, I can wake up at 6 am again to get shit done and remain motivated through the day. My aesthetical perceptions are kinda back. I distinguish kinds of music again, it's not that sharp perception of greatness within and association with a tune, but at least I can say that I like and enjoy something and produce an emotional response (again maybe not as strong as it used to be). But I can honestly say that if anytime in my future life I'll face ANYONE violently forcing this type of medication on me for WHATEVER reason I'll coldheartedly murder that person and do time in prison instead. For a thinking/creative/emotional person, in fact for anyone with a healthy ego and a sense of Self, the experience is nightmarish, crippling and torturing. People who take the stuff willingly probably deserve what's coming to them. People who are being force-fed this stuff should grow a pair and seriously reconsider their attitude to authority, independence and life in general. The parents force you - some parents emotionallly cripple their children while thinking they are doing the right thing for them, remember that. They don't always know what's right for you even though they are your parents and have lived longer than you. They can't feel what you feel and very often they don't bother thinking for themselves. The doctors tell you - after dealing with 4 different pdocs while/shortly after treatment, I'd rather do what a Nazi officer would tell me to than listening to the crap they told me. The major part of the idustry/profession is probably further from the words "ethics" and "human" than any other form of exploitation, compulsion and coercion. I can only wish anyone who is still experiencing the post-effects to keep strong, work out, excercise your brain and remember that in a year you'll most likely feel at peace with yourself again, will be able to be productive and be capable of achievemnt, experiencing emotions, empathy and enjoy the gift of life through a normally functioning brain.

People who are being force-fed this stuff should grow a pair and seriously reconsider their attitude to authority, independence and life in general.

This is just downright offensive.

Some people need antipsychotics to stay stable. It has NOTHING to do with cowtowing to authority figures.

And even LESS to do with whether one has testicles or not.

I am closing this thread because it's had it's time.