CrazyBoards.org

Expired Flovent HFA inhalers-- will they work?

I know these aren't psych meds, but I'm out of ideas about where to get info.

I am currently uninsured.  These inhalers keep me breathing and I need them.   Problem?  They cost $200 apiece.

I found 2 of them today-- a windfall-- but they expired 12/2012.

Does anyone know if they will still be safe and effective?  They are still unopened and sealed in their foil bags and have been stored in my house (between 65 and 80 degrees fahrenheit).

I get Ventolin/Albuterol---can't remember the name, and use them before I climb steep hills and stuff.  I'm sure some of mine have expired before I finished them because I only use it a couple of times a week.  I think you will see if the med is still working when you use it.  As a rule, I think those expiration dates are a guideline and the medication is still good for quite a while after the date.

olga

Okay, I opened one up and tried one tonight.

Aside from some tingling in my throat, all is well.  We'll see what my breathing is like in the morning (or if I'm dead).  

I called my pharmacist who thinks, at worst, they just won't be as effective.

Better.

Not 100%, but some of that could be due to the fact that this is a bad time of year for me and/or due to the fact that my last inhaler was running out of medication. My breathing has been worsening over the last week or so which is consistent with using a steroid inhaler that's just about out of medication (which is why I needed a new one).

So, I'm going to give it a few days and see where my lungs are.

Is it the pollen?  That makes my mom's asthma worse. 

I have expired Flovent that I recently used and it was fine.  Though I didn't use it for as long as you were supposed to since I found my Ventolin.