CrazyBoards.org

why do AAPs give you such intense dreams?

I'm on 300 mg of seroquel, and every night I am in for a roller coaster ride of stressful or suspenseful dreams.  I usually wake up on the edge of my seat after a loooong dream with plenty of twists and turns. I have always had this on seroquel, but not this bad.  and its only gotten worse with more unresolved stressin my life.  I don't think I can keep this up.  Dreaming is the most exacting part of the day on my brain it seems like.  I experience this on any AAP i have tried.

does anyone know the mechanism of action behind this?  5HT2a antagonism?  i know seroquel has a pretty potent effect on norepinephrine reuptake via its metabolite, which I think might explain why I always wake up kind of anxious and irritable, but I still don't understand what causes the heightened activity during dreaming.  has anyone found an AAP that tones thsi down any?

I had the exact opposite problem.  I was on Geodon for 10 years, and during that time I had 3 sleep studies.  I never entered REM in any of them, and the various doctors all told me that I don't dream because I was on Geodon.  I am now on Clozaril, and I still don't dream.

hmm.  I was on geodon briefly and still remember kind of having bad experiences with dreams, but i was also in a psych hospital (involuntary) at the time so i probably wouldn't have slept well regardless.   geodon was activating for me.  i needed to take it well before i slept.  One time the nurse just completely ignored what was written down and gave me geodon at the same time as my seroquel.  THAT was not a fun night.  the geodon kept me restless and alert while the seroquel was sedating me and trying to get me to sleep, so i hovered in a mixed state of sedation/but just enought alertness to not sleep for the whole night. 

huh. I always had nightly, vivid and disturbing nightmares from the time I was like, fifteen until I was put on Abilify at 23 or something. Then I didn't dream so much for a while. Here and there I had some, but I think it actually HELPED me and my weird dream situation. 

Everyone's different I guess.