CrazyBoards.org

First DBT session and homework

Hi

Well i went to my first DBT session. I shook the whole way there but once in i was slightly calmer. 
If anything ot was very boring, introductions etc and what will happen throughout the course, contact numbers for emergencies/if you will be absent or late etc.

They did briefly cover mindfulness. And we were given the first set of homework. Can i ask- do i do something different each day? As i did a cup of tea....how it smelled/felt/tasted etc etc but there is only so much you can say about a cup of tea. Another example they used was brushing teeth but again there is only so much you can say for that! So was wondering would i be right in saying that over the course of the week i will use a different example each time??

Thank you in advance :)

I'm glad that you went!  Good for you - it's so hard to start a new therapy.

And yes, over the course of the week you can definitely try different things - actually I think that's the best way to do it because it helps you figure out what is the best way for you.  DBT isn't necessarily "one size fits all" - it gives you a general toolbox but every person is going to have sets of skills and approaches that work best for them.  So trying lots of things is a good way to start to figure that out.