CrazyBoards.org

do they rx this stuff for neg symptoms of schizophrenia?

I used to heavily use speed (dexamphetamine base, hell of a drug) and since then seem to of developed motivational issues that have worsened over ten years. I just found out I may have schizophrenia and my Dr is telling me I need to go out more etc but I have anhedonia, I was on testosterone replacement therapy for years thinking it was low t but never thought it was psychological, I know adderall or dexedrine could greatly increase my quality of life, my past drug history may be discouraging but it could be dispensed by my godmother.

So I am wondering if these meds are really prescribed for schizophrenia as I was on a schizophrenia board and a lot were on stims along with anti psychotics for quality of life issues from the negative symptoms and AP side effects.

My life has just been so shit since quitting speed and it's recently got worse and I'm sick of living like this.

In my experience, you have to have been quite stable for a long period of time before a doc will prescribe stimulants to you. 

I have been stable and free of psychosis for 6 months, and I am on the maximum dose of Abilify (an AAP). Still, my pdoc/gdoc will not prescribe stimulants to me. They say it will likely cause hypomania and psychosis. Psychosis is a very possible side effect of stimulants for me, since i slip so easily into psychosis. 

So basically, if you've been stable for a while, your pdoc might give you stimulants. There are some people around CB who have schizoaffective and/or are bipolar who take stimulants without a problem, so I know it can be done. 

I have had amphetamine psychosis before and it wasnt anywhere near as bad as the psychosis I had this time, the Risperidone is keeping the positive symptoms at bay but my negative symptoms which I have had for 10 years are whats really bothering me.

I worry about psychosis not due to being psychotic itself (I found it fun and interesting) but for the brain damage it supposedly does.

The difference between the 2 psychosis' for me were with speed psychosis it was just light paranoia that came and went and I knew I was only paranoid.

With the break I didnt know I was psychotic but I knew something was seriously wrong, it wasnt until after the episode I realised what my dellusions were and I am still not 100% delusion free(the risperidone stops me thinking about them) but I DO know I am delusional cause my brain started ticking over when I didnt get the response from someone that correlated with my dellusion (I left the house without taking my risperidone). My delusions have just become less elaborate, instead of every1 being after me I only suspect 2 people now LOL.

Edited by ScrambleHead

If I was you I would try taking a low maintenance dose and then more as needed. Or have you tried Adderall instead of Vyvanse?

oh nvm I see you have it on PRN. I take it you have tried Adderall how did that go?

Edited by ScrambleHead

Hi ScrambleHead. I wish they prescribed stims more often for the negative symptoms of SZ. When I have tried adderall, it definitely helps me with motivation as well as with depression.

My doc explained it to me that stims act to increase dopamine, where AAPs decrease dopamine, so on paper it shouldn't work. Mainly they are worried about it causing psychosis like Parapluie said.

I think she just doesn't want to prescribe me another controlled substance since I'm already on klonopin.

Anyways, my doc said stims would be a last resort for me since she's trying to help my anhedonia with mood stabilizers and/or anti-depressants. I haven't responded well to any of them.

Maybe I will need to be stable on my AAP for longer (it's only been 8 months).

Thanks for starting this topic because it's something I've been thinking about.

Dx: Bipolar NOS, schizotypal personality disorder, GAD, ptsd

meds: Risperdal 2mg, klonopin 1.5mg

I have had amphetamine psychosis before and it wasnt anywhere near as bad as the psychosis I had this time, the Risperidone is keeping the positive symptoms at bay but my negative symptoms which I have had for 10 years are whats really bothering me.

I worry about psychosis not due to being psychotic itself (I found it fun and interesting) but for the brain damage it supposedly does.

The difference between the 2 psychosis' for me were with speed psychosis it was just light paranoia that came and went and I knew I was only paranoid.

With the break I didnt know I was psychotic but I knew something was seriously wrong, it wasnt until after the episode I realised what my dellusions were and I am still not 100% delusion free(the risperidone stops me thinking about them) but I DO know I am delusional cause my brain started ticking over when I didnt get the response from someone that correlated with my dellusion (I left the house without taking my risperidone). My delusions have just become less elaborate, instead of every1 being after me I only suspect 2 people now LOL.

You may find that your pdoc is unwilling to prescribe you amphetamines due to your past abusing behavior and psychotic reaction. But there are some people on CB who use stimulants even though they abused them in the past. 

My docs staunchly refuse to prescribe me stimulants. :/ Meh. I do struggle with my ADHD but apparently not enough to warrant medicating it. I think my docs are just really cautious. But, to be honest, I'm scared to try stimulants cause my psychosis can be horrifying and i'd rather not go through that again.

Yea it sucks how controlled amphetamines are but I can tell you from someone who has done a lot of drugs dexamphetamine is VERY addictive psychologically and very powerful, mentally moreso than cocaine (dex that is not ritalin or l-amphetamine).

I am not sure what I was taking though because my friend was on dexedrine for ADD which he hated and wouldnt want to take but when he had some of my amp he loved it and it wasnt meth because it only lasted a few hours.

Anyway try asking for vyvanse thats harder to abuse and also try get it dispensed through someone if that can be arranged.

If I was you I would try taking a low maintenance dose and then more as needed. Or have you tried Adderall instead of Vyvanse?

oh nvm I see you have it on PRN. I take it you have tried Adderall how did that go?

Adderall contains l-amphetamine, which for me has more side effects. Give me d-amphetamine any day. I take PRN doses in the afternoon.

If you aren't schizophrenic, you will most likely trigger something that is psychotic in nature. I take Adderall but of course I have never been psychotic, but I will tell you when I used to take very high doses of Adderall 80mg or more I would become suspicious and be overly aware, although this only happened when I heavily abused Adderall, I would say this happened once or twice. I really caution you to be very careful, I don't want to label you, but if you aren't addicted to stimulants anymore and don't need them don't start. I am very sure that being on stimulants provoked my Bipolar Disorder and now I'm on a low dose 20mg a day. 

If you have psychotic symptoms aggravated by stimulants it isn't going to help you, and if you are psychotic without stimulants, they definitely won't make it better. Stimulants as you know can cause psychosis and trigger more psychotic episodes in people with predispositions to psychotic disorders. Vyvanse is definitely the way to go, since you have such a history of abuse, if you can even get  it prescribed again, but again I am warning you, if you manage to get it prescribed again, make sure you have excellent insight and get off of them if they are causing psychotic symptoms or paranoia beyond normal suspicions. 

You have to realize a high enough dose of any psychostimulant will push ANYONE into psychosis eventually and can even mimic schizophrenia. If left untreated this can open a "Pandora's Box" that may not be able to be closed. But you know yourself better than I ever will. Use your judgement.

I just told my doctor that my life without psychostimulants was unbearable, it was causing me to act very impulsively. 

Edited by Forbidden91

I have always wondered what I was snorting back in the day with different supplies feeling different, can you describe the differences between L and D?

The L isomer has more side effects, like cardiac ones. It made me uncomfortably wired.

I never had them prescribed I was getting the street version.

Yea thats what I thought, the L isomer is more physically stimulatory and less serotonergic.

I did not like the idea of meds and I was always concerned about permenant damage from the speed I did and my psychologist reassured me there is no such thing as permenant damage, now I either have negative symptoms of schizophrenia or PTSD traits and that is whats causing me motivational issues and from what I have read there is no cure so I am now for psychiatric meds and I just feel that a stim like Vyvanse would greatly improve my quality of life,

I wont bring it up with my doctor yet though, he wants me to really try which I will and if in a few months I dont see an improvement I will ask him and if he cant alleviate my motivational issues I will go doctor shopping.

Edited by ScrambleHead