CrazyBoards.org

Talk to me about your anxiety

Definitely. Last time in public I experienced some severe anxiety; I had this silly realization that a delusion is not really definable, rather than a judgement placed on us by "others". I have to admit, I was hungover.

edit: I was writing as essay at the same time, for the school. I passed.

Edited by Ohmy

And. Again, because I'm curious, do you have a formal dx of BP AND anxiety? Or does the mania present as anxiety? I find it fascinating, trying to label and compartmentalize all these overlapping symptoms.

In a recent hypomania I decided to draw a Venn diagram. Uh. Cool. Not. ;)

I had a diagnosis of "generalized anxiety and depression". My sis has a more severe diagnosis. But what does that matter, though? Why do you care what a "psychiatrist" diagnoses you as?

You are you; you are not words on a paper. No-one can define you.

Oh My, stop being a prick. 

Anyway, I have the joy of having both Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Bipolar. 

During my hypomanias, I usually (aside from my last hypomania, which was euphoric) get very "anxious" and keyed up. Like I'm bursting with energy, but it's negative energy. My thoughts are racing, I can't stop moving, I can't stop talking, but it's like this horrible pressure to keep moving and talking. Like I MUST move and talk. The best way to describe it is, you know that feeling of butterflies in your stomach when you're really anxious but excited? It feels exactly like that for me. Just for weeks/months instead of it being fleeting. I feel anxious for things to happen, anxious about my projects, anxious about my grades, my work, whatever it is I'm doing. But it's more like excitement than anxiety, in a way. 

My anxiety from my GAD is different. It caused me to worry, all consuming worry. Thinking about the future, thinking about what bad will happen next. What could possibly go wrong? Do I have a plan B, C, D, E?? What if, what if, what if, what if!! I had that keyed up, anxious energy, but it didn't give me the boundless energy that hypomania does. (I say it "caused" me problems because Abilify has basically cured me of my GAD)

See the difference for me?

It sounds like you and I have quite similar hypomanias, which I find really neato. 

Edited to add: I get obsessive and hyper-vigilant when I'm both hypomanic and when I'm anxious. But with hypomania, I'll obsess over getting top grades and beating everyone cause I AM THE BEST!!! Versus anxiety, I'll obsess over whether or not I should wear a sweater today or something else stupid like that. :P

Edited by Parapluie

During my hypomanias, I usually (aside from my last hypomania, which was euphoric) get very "anxious" and keyed up. Like I'm bursting with energy, but it's negative energy. My thoughts are racing, I can't stop moving, I can't stop talking, but it's like this horrible pressure to keep moving and talking. Like I MUST move and talk. The best way to describe it is, you know that feeling of butterflies in your stomach when you're really anxious but excited? It feels exactly like that for me. Just for weeks/months instead of it being fleeting. I feel anxious for things to happen, anxious about my projects, anxious about my grades, my work, whatever it is I'm doing. But it's more like excitement than anxiety, in a way. 

My anxiety from my GAD is different. It caused me to worry, all consuming worry. Thinking about the future, thinking about what bad will happen next. What could possibly go wrong? Do I have a plan B, C, D, E?? What if, what if, what if, what if!! I had that keyed up, anxious energy, but it didn't give me the boundless energy that hypomania does. (I say it "caused" me problems because Abilify has basically cured me of my GAD)

It sounds like you and I have quite similar hypomanias, which I find really neato. 

I don't care. I'm just curious. Like I said, I find the overlap fascinating.

Edited by Ohmy

I don't care. I'm just curious. Like I said, I find the overlap fascinating.

Last I checked, you weren't the one who posted the topic. So I don't give a shit if YOU don't care about what I have to say. What you said to Ray_of_sunshine was just rude. Now lets put our big kid panties on and shut up and let the topic go on as scheduled. 

Back to regular scheduled programming....

Mods: Sorry if I'm outta line by telling off Ohmy. My apologies. 

Edited by Parapluie

So I don't give a shit

For the ones who don't give a shit: my posts were quotes. As long as we treat us "mentally ill" people like this, we shouldn't expect anything better from the "healthy" people.

I had a diagnosis of "generalized anxiety and depression". My sis has a more severe diagnosis. But what does that matter, though? Why do you care what a "psychiatrist" diagnoses you as?

You are you; you are not words on a paper. No-one can define you.

Yikes!  I didn't mean I don't care about YOU as a person, Ohmy, or, even worse, all mentally ill people in the world.  I was just responding to the question you asked me, which was "why do you care what a psychiatrist diagnoses you as?".

My answer was "I don't," meaning I don't really care what my dx is.  I was asking these questions out of a curiosity.  Seriously.  No malice intended, and I certainly didn't mean to hurt your feelings when I responded to your question "I don't care."

Sorry that got so crazy!

Parapluie - YES.  Our flavor of crazy is the same, isn't it?  Fun times.  Haha.

Now back to our regularly schedeuled programming, everyone?

My pdoc says that anxiety is a part of bipolar/SZA and so I don't have separate dx's even though I have meds for it (Ativan PRN). 

The more stable I am, the less anxious I am.  I find they are very interrelated, especially to my depression.

Anxiety is its own separate entity for me. I have it all the time no matter what or when or why etc.

If I'm manic I still get anxious, depressed still anxious, stable mood still anxious. It doesn't go away. It gets better with meds and therapy but it still is always there. What if what if what if.

And if you were curious part of my diagnosis is bipolar disorder and I also have GAD.

It is interesting to read how it affects different people differently.

Anxiety is its own separate entity for me. I have it all the time no matter what or when or why etc.

If I'm manic I still get anxious, depressed still anxious, stable mood still anxious. It doesn't go away. It gets better with meds and therapy but it still is always there. What if what if what if.

And if you were curious part of my diagnosis is bipolar disorder and I also have GAD.

It is interesting to read how it affects different people differently.

This. Exactly. I have BP and GAD and the anxiety is a near-constant no matter what my moods are doing.

I have BP(something...) GAD and Panic Disorder as my axis I's. I find that my anxiety ramps up when i'm going between depression and hypomania such as right now. For this I try to be aware of it and the triggers and take a PRN and try not to be a hero.

But I do get managable anxiety at other times (like a final being due on friday, i'm a little anxios about how it will go).  I think of the museneq comercial where everyone is having a party in the patients chest. Yeah for me they are a party that does not always give invites to peace and mindfulness...

Ohmy, back off.

I don't have an anxiety disorder dx that I know of, but I'm anxious all the time. My most recent episode was hypomanic. I stay at the same baseline of anxiety. It tends to go UP when I'm mixed. I also tend to get anxious the most when I'm in a large group of people, but I'm working on it.

Anxiety can be indicative of a mood episode on the horizon, though.

Thinking about this - I have minor anxiety on a daily basis, but it doesn't impede my functioning, so I don't think of it that way.  Maybe it's not.  Stuff like I have to check the stove 20 times and the door 20 times to make sure the house isn't going to burn down, and I have to touch my purse to make sure that it isn't open, but I do it when I know it hasn't been touched, since the last time I checked, but I have to check, just in case.  I check a lot because I worry.  Maybe that's not anxiety though.  Various little things, they prey on my mind and I can't let them go.

But still no separate dx.  Maybe if I had impeded functioning outside of episodes I would.  Dunno.

I have GAD and Bipolar. On a day to day basis, the GAD affects my life more, it controls my life. To quote from someplace: "Able to jump to the worst conclusion in a single bound!" I am trying really hard for it not to, but it means I am doing a lot of deep breathing throughout the day.

When I am actually episodic, everything goes kablooie, and my anxiety really heightens to the point that the anxiety alone makes me cry; but it only gets that bad when I am manic.