CrazyBoards.org

I am having trouble lately with something, but it is not a hallucination. It's like, I see things in my mind when my eyes are open. I am not seeing them as if they are there, but rather in my head. Or sometimes I will see an object... say, a trashcan, and it will have the markings on it that resemble eyebrows, and my mind will come up with this face and I see it, in my mind. I've never had this before but it is rather disturbing because I am starting to think that maybe I am seeing things that are happening in other areas of the world. Can anyone relate to this?

I think so, I go outside at night and I see a shadow or something moving and I think it's someone watching me. Prior to going out I am fine but something with things that could look like something else, or something threatening.

This happens to me too, and I don't know whether it is kind of like a premonition or something (wherever I see it happening -- it might not be with/about me; it could be with anyone/anything).  I always wonder if I can predict things (and ironically sometimes things I "see" do happen, but not for years later), but figured it was just a passing thought of what I thought might happen, and coincidentally it came true), but most likely not.

This sounds like the phenomenon (not really a condition, as we all do it) formally called Pareidolia: a human conditioning to see things as faces as a "first guess", and indistinct shapes as people, running through to  "animals in clouds" etc.,

It's perfectly normal, but if you are tired or more edgy that usual you may be noticing it more, and if more aware of it, alert to it,  then more prone to reading meaning into a "new phenomenon" which isn't really.

Two takes on this from the BBC news on-line magazine may help (or rule my hypothesis out!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22686500

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22781861

An article and, a few days later, some readers photographs, inspired by it.

Chris.

This sounds like the phenomenon (not really a condition, as we all do it) formally called Pareidolia: a human conditioning to see things as faces as a "first guess", and indistinct shapes as people, running through to  "animals in clouds" etc.,

It's perfectly normal, but if you are tired or more edgy that usual you may be noticing it more, and if more aware of it, alert to it,  then more prone to reading meaning into a "new phenomenon" which isn't really.

Two takes on this from the BBC news on-line magazine may help (or rule my hypothesis out!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22686500

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22781861

An article and, a few days later, some readers photographs, inspired by it.

Chris.

What you are talking about is something completely different from what I experience.  I don't see images of picture in things.  I get "visual cues" of things that MIGHT be happening, or about to happening, or will happen at one point.  I just don't know if it will happen or not at any of those given points.  A lot that "come true" are most likely coincidences.  The visual cues seem so real though, and they happen when I am more alert.

ETA:  That second link has really neat shapes of things/people!

Edited by melissaw72

I think I know what you mean, Dusk. I can't really explain it, but I think the same thing used to happen to me when I was psychotic. I would see the things in my mind, and then my mind would run away with the idea. I used to think they were special messages for me, that was why only I could see them. 

Thanks guys.

That's exactly what I'm experiencing Parapluie.

Sometimes I would see, say, a person and I would see their face in my mind turning into a demon face. I was not hallucinating though (I have hallucinated people turning into demons, this was different), I would only "imagine" this in my mind. Then, I would start to think this was a message for me from the sun. That's why it was implanted into my brain. 

Very bizarre, but there you have it. I hope you feel less alone in your experience. 

I think I know what you're talking about". I saw a flash of light once and then my mind filled it in as headlights coming right at me so i jumped out of the way only to figure out it was just like a light in the distance my mind went off with. a few days later a car did come up the driveway just like what I had seen. things don't always correlate though. I was looking at a nail filer and it became a knife sawing through the desk. its like my mind keeps daydreaming. lately shadows and dish rags and things will look like people and I'll automatically see their clothes and texture and posture before clicking and going, "Oh, no, its a dish rag after all". Its just a few seconds. I don't know if its similar but well i hear voice in things, like conversations when the fan is on or something and I was told that could be a functional hallucination? like a real thing triggers a hallucination or something like that. Maybe it happen visually, too. i don't know, I think I can relate to what you're describing, always when I am very stressed and starting to space out.